I've just got myself a................

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
Helmet Camera!!!!!!!!!! The ATC2000. I picked it up from the sorting office this morning. I'm very excited, but won't be able to play with it until I get home though :wacko:. So I'm just going to have to go on another little bike ride this evening to see how it works (I think attaching it to my helmet and running round the house with it on is going a bit too far :biggrin:). It came with a 2GB memory card and batteries. I've got a 512mb SD card too, I take it this will also work fine as a back up.

So, what do you think fellow commuters - camera on the bars or the helmet?

hackbike 6

It's very good perhaps I should did my one out.:biggrin:

I did actually put it on my front right fork I wasn't happy with it on my helmet.(oooer)

Did you tell them magnatom sent you? I look forward to the commission... (I wish!)

Have fun. I'd go for helmet. The only drawback with the ATC it is a little heavy so the best place is probably on the top of the helmet. Of course this will mean that you are very obviously wearing a helmet camera, which is probably a good thing.

You are now officially a BOB. See the blog for an explanation :biggrin:

Keith Oates

Janner
I like the idea of helmet cams to show interesting rides etc. such as Maggot's run down the hill at Cheddar Gorge. Their use of showing people going up and down famous climbs etc. is also very interesting to me and no doubt most cyclists interested in that side of our sport/hobby. However I'm a little uneasy that they are being openly touted as a way to get back at errant car drivers and feel that this could backfire on somebody one day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keith Oates said:
I like the idea of helmet cams to show interesting rides etc. such as Maggot's run down the hill at Cheddar Gorge. Their use of showing people going up and down famous climbs etc. is also very interesting to me and no doubt most cyclists interested in that side of our sport/hobby. However I'm a little uneasy that they are being openly touted as a way to get back at errant car drivers and feel that this could backfire on somebody one day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not about getting back at anyone. It's about education, prevention and where necessary action (i.e. reporting an incident with evidence).

Of course everything can be misused and I am sure cameras could be, but that is the fault of the person using the camera, not of the camera itself.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
For me, the two best uses are of learning about my own riding and correcting my own sometimes dodgy riding, and of preventing further abuse and road rage. There's little as effective as a camera in stopping a driver from going to excess when they realise there's a camera.

Cab

Helmet. Then when you're at lights you can check out any interesting members of the opposite sex who walk past.

Wolf04

Genuine question and not an attempt at reigniting the helmet- no helmet debate. If you are attaching a solid object to a helmet like a camera does that not make the helmet redundant for it's primary function?

Wolf04 said:
Genuine question and not an attempt at reigniting the helmet- no helmet debate. If you are attaching a solid object to a helmet like a camera does that not make the helmet redundant for it's primary function?

Most probably. It may in fact increase the likelyhood of rotational head injuries, if the camera catches on the ground or something else as you fall, although it is likely that the connector may break as well. I think the risk is very small though.

Incidentally my camera actually sits just under my helmet on a headband attached to my head. This just happens to work for me, although it is not particularly visible.

Bentmikey,

I am looking forward to some footage!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
magnatom said:
Most probably. It may in fact increase the likelyhood of rotational head injuries, if the camera catches on the ground or something else as you fall, although it is likely that the connector may break as well. I think the risk is very small though.

In fairness, the helmet does this on its own anyway, though I agree that attaching stuffs is a bad thing, generally. In the overall scale of safety, it's probably not worth worrying about when compared with Traffick Skillz (tm) and Commons Senze (tm).

Footage? I don't get a tenth of the traffic conflicts you do mate. (LOL, j/k)

Top Bottom