I've lost the bug

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrRidley

Been cycling almost every day this year (only missed about 10 days) but the last 2 weeks i'm having to force myself, start work at 5am, so 4am rise, some mornings i can barely make it to work, don't know if it's the cold/dark/wet that's doing it, but the bug has defo gone, i only need another 300 or so miles to make it to 5000 for the year, will it pass ? has anyone else had the same problems ?

SlowJoe

It's just the winter blues Jim, bit like how its harder getting up in the winter , your body is primed to wake at sunrise and so it's all a bit of a shock in winter getting up at four.

Try and think positive, it;s like your the only person in the world at that time of the morning ( ive had a few early starts in my time) , roads clearer, crisp and healthy etc.

It will pass in a week or two . Theres nothing wrong in giving your body a little rest to recuperate from all those miles , in fact it is probably beneficial and your body may be asking for a slight ease up .

gbb

Legendary Member
It's inevitable once in a while jim...i know i've been there.
Once in a while, (i'm speaking for myself) i've been off the bike for a while, maybe had other things to do...and at some stage you think 'ive got to start again' just when mentally you dont really feel like it.
It causes me some fustration and you're in limbo...you want to, you need to, but cant be bothered to.
At times like that, i set myself small goals. Go for a 5 miler, go for 1/2 hour, whatever. Dont try to reproduce your best....a bit at a time, and its not long before he moment passes.

Hope that makes sense...it works for me.

freewheelwilly

winter blues, and we have a lond way to go yet. i've dipped out of some rides in the morning and regretted as i just dont wake up whilst on a nice warm, dry bus. stick with it, you'll appreciate the moment when those days get lighter earlier.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
bhoyjim said:
Been cycling almost every day this year (only missed about 10 days) but the last 2 weeks i'm having to force myself, start work at 5am, so 4am rise, some mornings i can barely make it to work, don't know if it's the cold/dark/wet that's doing it, but the bug has defo gone, i only need another 300 or so miles to make it to 5000 for the year, will it pass ? has anyone else had the same problems ?

I'm pretty much the same this time of year. The thrill has gone. Usually can't wait for a cycling opportunity, now once a week constitutional pootle with my mate is almost a struggle. But this seems to be normal for me. At the end of every 'season' I slowly lack interest and va va voom for the bike. But you know what? After a while it passes and I take to the bike again with renewed zeal to start getting back into shape for next year!
Allow yourself some slack, it's a crappy time of year, let your body enjoy the break.

OP
OP
M

MrRidley

NorfolkNewbie said:
I don't think I ever caught the bug for getting up early, let alone lost it.

It's not the early starts been doing that for a few years, it's lack of motivation for riding the bike.

NorfolkNewbie

bhoyjim said:
It's not the early starts been doing that for a few years, it's lack of motivation for riding the bike.

Aw, I know I was just trying to be funny. Failed miserably I see. :welcome:

I am sure your biking mojo will return in time. I think everyone feels down at this time of year, it doesn't exactly make you want to do anything.

NorfolkNewbie

bhoyjim said:

I was just being silly :welcome:

I am sure your cycle mojo will return in no time.

After 5,000 miles mate I think I would have lost it a little, but its not easy and I am glad I am not alone in thinking this is hard work at the moment, but when I get to work I am so glad I did cycle.

My cycle in has 3 stages, first is 5 miles second, 7 and last 5, so I have a mental mileage knowing that once I have got thru the first 5 I am okay and its not so bad, middle section is a bit of a labour, but I really enjoy the last 5 as its quite a nice run into the city.

Getting out of bed in the mornings is not easy but makes me enjoy the weekend lie ins knoeing I have earned them !

gavintc

Guru
Jim, i completely agree. I have had 2 bad weeks and also finding enthusiasm difficult. I think it is the weather and the dark evenings. Hope you find your mojo again. I am back on the bike, but struggling.

SlowJoe

diets who needs them

Well done jim, I;ve been tring to persuade the wife to get in the saddle as she wonders why i;m fit and haven't an ounce to spare ! still she prefers near total starvation (i;m not kidding) I live in hope

Once again well done.

Plax

Guru
I'm a bit like that at the moment. Get all ready the night before then morning comes and it's a bit like "bugger this I'm staying in bed 30 mins longer" type thing. Forced myself this morning to cycle in and enjoyed it despite getting a bit wet. Once I'm out the door I'm fine, it's the getting there bit I'm bad with! Whenever I drive into work I feel so bad sometimes that I'll actually take an extended lunch break and cycle back to work!

Top Bottom