Jason MacIntyre-Cyclist-FAI-continues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member

wafflycat

I see that poor Jason is being partially blamed for his death by motoring f**kw*t not paying attention as Jason was not wearing hi-viz... That victim-blaming mentality really, really, really makes me angry :smile:

Recommendation for traffic island at crash site to slow traffic - good

Recommendation that all cyclists wear helmets (even though it would not have made a difference in this case) and hi-viz - not so good

phaedrus

How thick is that feckin' Sheriff? He acknowledges that a helmet would have made no difference, then goes on to recommend that all cyclists should wear one. As for hi-viz, what difference would that have made? The van driver simply wasn't paying attention.

I reckon the only bench this guy should be on is in the public park.

Lizban

Helmet = can of wroms not worth opening

Hi Viz - is more sensible in my opinion.

But the overwhelming reaction is what a horrific thing to happen - how many lives have been damaged and impacted. His wife and children clearly, but I also feel for the driver - the guilt and weight of sorrow he must feel must be huge, knowing that he caused and could have prevented it from happening.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Touche said:
Recommendation for traffic island at crash site to slow traffic - good

hmm in my opinion traffic islands only make the situation worse as they become pinch points

Agreed on the stupid comments by the sheriff. Since when has a blue and white top become "dark clothing" ?

wafflycat

The driver - I feel no sympathy for. None at all. Right at the very start he effectively denied everything IIRC, saying he was only aware that there was a collision when he heard a bump & that the last time he'd seen the cyclist, the cyclist was on the cycle path.... Now if he had come clean right at the start, I would have some sympathy as he'd have had the guts to admit he'd made a mistake.

wafflycat

As for the dark clothing - do the folk investigating car crashes come out with statements such as "if only the deceased had been driving a hi-viz car..." No, of course they don't. But when it comes to cyclists, it's pure victim-blaming.

As for Hi viz what nonsense, the driver behind saw him fine
A driver who had been behind McTaggart told police at the time that he had spotted the cyclist and had thought the pick-up would stop for him.
and I think Scotland cycling jerseys are pretty hi viz in themselves
SC_JERSEY.JPG

Did some political party not think Blue was the most visable colour and white provides a pretty good contrast.

OP
OP
bauldbairn

bauldbairn

This is such a sad story.

Why did the Sheriff even feel it was necessary to mention wearing a helmet and Hi-Viz when they bore no relevance on the final outcome - a young mans death?

Best wishes to Mrs MacIntyre and her young family.

OP
OP
bauldbairn

bauldbairn

wafflycat said:
As for the dark clothing - do the folk investigating car crashes come out with statements such as "if only the deceased had been driving a hi-viz car..." No, of course they don't. But when it comes to cyclists, it's pure victim-blaming.

+1.

HLaB said:
As for Hi viz what nonsense, the driver behind saw him fine and I think Scotland cycling jerseys are pretty hi viz in themselves
SC_JERSEY.JPG

Did some political party not think Blue was the most visable colour and white provides a pretty good contrast.

+1. Exactly - don't some manufacturers(Altura) offer Hi-Viz kit in this very colour?

I was living up there when this happened. I used to see him on the A82 occasionally. No mistaking him, tall and thin and very fast and no chance of not seeing him, he wasn't exactly riding in the gutter. It's a small community and this was all the talk when it happened. The LBS had a big collection for him and his family, very shocking and the Sheriff's ruling is a disgrace.

bauldbairn said:
This is such a sad story.

Why did the Sheriff even feel it was necessary to mention wearing a helmet and Hi-Viz when they bore no relevance on the final outcome - a young mans death?

Best wishes to Mrs MacIntyre and her young family.

Because it something realtively safe to say - The uproar that would have followed if he said that all drivers "that do not see" cyclists should be jailed would effectively end his career as a Sheriff

In my oponion anyone who hits a cyclist while driving has been careless and should be convicted of "careless driving" regardless of the outcome of the accident (unless evidence can be produced cateorgorically proving their innocence) and banned from driving for a substantial period - regardless of their circumstances - for serious outcomes jail and the total withdrawl of a driving licience - the simple fact that a driver hits a pedestrian or a cyclist should be enough - similarly in vehicle collisions there should be more prosecutions rather than just leaving it to the insuarances to sort out - it should be a privilige to operate a motor vehicle - not a right

Top Bottom