Jenny Jones #curfewformen

OP
R

roubaixtuesday

Veteran
others don't appear to, and resort to stepping outside the board rules and posting comments that meet the criteria for violence
As noted before, your definition of "violence" differs, well, violently, from any other.

Rather than debate this, please simply report posts you regard as "violent" towards you and the mods will deal with them according to site rules.

Then we can stop debating your points on moderation and get back to the topic in hand.

Which I'm quite certain is what you wish for :okay:

As noted before, your definition of "violence" differs, well, violently, from any other.

Rather than debate this, please simply report posts you regard as "violent" towards you and the mods will deal with them according to site rules.

Then we can stop debating your points on moderation and get back to the topic in hand.

Which I'm quite certain is what you wish for :okay:
Actually, it doesn't. I lifted it from a site for violence toward women. :okay:

I'd prefer people to show self control, stick to the forum rules, and not post comments that can be deemed violent, but a start would be people not stepping in with comments that appear to be aimed at interrupting conversations.

OP
R

roubaixtuesday

Veteran
a start would be people not stepping in with comments that appear to be aimed at interrupting conversations.
Indeed. Sound advice. Please stop doing so and instead report posts you regard as breaking site rules. :okay:

Then, as once again I'm absolutely certain is your intent, we can get back to a civilised debate on the topic in hand :okay:

AuroraSaab

Über Member
Are there many societies around the world, where gender roles differ vastly from those here in the west? I think most animal societies follow gender roles too, which raises a few questions when considering nature v nurture.
Well society will always be set up in certain ways because only women can provide the biology of pregnancy and very early child care that human reproduction requires. But there's a huge difference in the need for that function and the massive imbalance we have between the sexes in much of the world. Most aspects of traditional gender roles are just social constructs though and just persist through regressive stereotypes surely.

I don't think looking to nature as a model for the human world is helpful either. Chimps are cannibals on occasion but noone thinks that's something that's acceptable in human society.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
You hinted at it in a previous post - testosterone. Adolescent males are a complete mess of hormones brought about from an evolutionary state whereby at that age they are expected/required to fight for resources, stake their claim etc. In a geological timescale, we're only one swing away from the tree and if you look at male behaviour in a number of species - chimps, dolphins, ducks - it's much easier to understand adolescent male behaviour in humans.
I suppose we should be grateful it took this long in the thread for this tired old trope to be recycled. Coming next - Why Men Like Straight Lines and Women Like Polka Dots*.

I realise that people continue to find this sort of nonsense hugely persuasive, which is of course quite interesting in itself, but anyone who is actually interested in why it's cobblers, I recommend Cordelia Fine's Testosterone Rex.

*That's an actual book title, BTW.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
This thread's a scream.

It's like buses knocking down 10 women and 90 men a year.

"Wah Wah, we have to stop buses knocking down women"

"but they knock down 100 people..."

"Wah Wah, but the women"

"Why do buses knock down so many people?"

"Why are you distracting away from the women? You is a sexist"

"If we understand why buses knock down people then we can make them safer for everyone, not just women"

"What do you mean just women. You is a sexist. Buses are socially conditioned to knock down women"

If we educated people about road safety ...

"Why should my rights be infringed? Women should be able to walk anywhere without having to look left and right"

#curfewforbuses

OP
R

roubaixtuesday

Veteran
There isn't a curfew on men. There will not be a curfew on men. Everyone knows this, and yet men are getting hysterical throughout the thread as if it's a real thing. Meanwhile, actual police knocked on doors in Brixton and Clapham a few weeks ago and 'advised' women not to go out alone.
The subject of the thread is, of course, evident in the opening post.

The reactions to this suggestion have been rather more revealing than the suggestion itself

I have taken the liberty of emboldening a relevant part for those who may choose to insist otherwise.

Top Bottom