Jockey Wheel noise?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How often should these be replaced, I've done 2000 miles on the current set. the gearing / chain noise seems to have increased and there seems to be some lateral movement on the jockey wheels; i just wondered if these could be causing the increase in noise.

Any thoughts?

Windy

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Jockey wheels always have a bit of lateral movement. If the drive train is noisey, clean and oil it. Or if you are still on the original chain, possibly that and maybe even the cassette is worn.

I've never replaced a jockey wheel in my life, apart from when one fell of a Benelux mech years back.

Mr Pig

If you split the cage you can take the jockey wheels out and clean them. Just take care as they are different, the top one moves from side to side, the bottom one doesn't.

Clean the chain and re oil it, and a drop of light oil in the jockey wheels, and make sure the derailier is lined up right. That should help.

thanks for the advice. I clean and lube the mech and chain every month and tend to wipe down the chain after a couple of rides and relube it, the cassette and chainring don't appear to be warn. The movement in the jockey wheels is as you describe.

guess i'll just need to go out and clean it again ready for a ride tomorrow morning should the rain stay away.....

Windy

Mr Pig

Is it aligned alright? The chain should be hanging straight down in line with the gear you're in. Over time the cable than works the derailier stretches and you need to tweak it a bit. If it's not lined up straight that will give you a rattle. The jockey wheels don't make much noise, even when they're gunked up. The chain will just whizz round better when they're clean.

redjedi

Über Member
Is there a big difference between the 2 wheels.

I took mine off a few weeks ago, when I replaced my cassette and cleaned them. I didn't realise they were different, so didn't pay any attention to which one went where. Although I did need a little lubricant to get them moving freely. I just assumed this was normal. They've worked fine since.

Is there anyway to tell the difference?

rustychisel

Very likely they're marked (stamped) <top> and <lower> somewhere on the actual jockey wheel. In very small writing.
The upper JW is - as said - intended to 'float' a little from side to side. That's to account for slight intolerances in lining up the chain as it leaves the cogs.

rustychisel said:
Very likely they're marked (stamped) <top> and <lower> somewhere on the actual jockey wheel. In very small writing.
The upper JW is - as said - intended to 'float' a little from side to side. That's to account for slight intolerances in lining up the chain as it leaves the cogs.

There are no markings at all to tell you which one is which! on any jockey wheel Ive seen.

Mr Pig

redjedi said:
Is there anyway to tell the difference?

The ones I've seen look pretty much the same on the outside with no obvious maskings to differentiate them. If you hold the side plates and pull the wheel from side to side you will see that ones move sideways, maybe about a millimetre, the other one doesn't.

Keep the wheels separate and take the side plates off to open them up. You'll find that they're slightly different inside. One has a longer spindle in the middle, maybe made of a different material or a different diameter, and the side plates will probably be slightly different too.

Top Bottom