Joe Biden and his Presidency deserve their own thread....

The Jogger

Legendary Member
As much as i am a fan of Biden, I don't think he should have commented on the Floyd case saying the evidence is overwhelming, he shouldn't be making statements like that.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/20/politics/biden-george-floyd-brother/index.html

Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
As much as i am a fan of Biden, I don't think he should have commented on the Floyd case saying the evidence is overwhelming, he shouldn't be making statements like that.
Not a good thing to do.
If the jury can’t reach a verdict then there will be no chance of a retrial.

dutchguylivingintheuk

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/20/politics/biden-george-floyd-brother/index.html
I'm not a fan of Biden or Trump for that matter, but Biden didn't say anything wrong, surely on the edge but not over the edge from the article: ''"It's overwhelming, in my view," Biden said in the Oval Office, where he was meeting with Hispanic lawmakers. "I wouldn't say that unless the jury was sequestered." What a other democrat(rep. Maxine Waters) said on a rally on Saturday was much more worrying she said '' "we're looking for a guilty verdict" over the weekend. Waters' comments, including a call for protesters to get "more confrontational" if Chauvin is found not guilty, have roiled the political world and could affect the case.'' Judge Peter Cahill further said ''"I think if they want to give their opinions, they should do so in a respectful and in a manner that is consistent with their oath to the Constitution, to respect a coequal branch of government," Cahill said. He added Waters' remarks could be grounds for appealing a verdict in the trial.''

So if it turns out a not guilty verdict because an appeal ms. Waters created, all those protstor will be marching down to burn her house? Would be fair but highly unlikely

Eziemnaik

Über Member
What a other democrat(rep. Maxine Waters) said on a rally on Saturday was much more worrying she said '' "we're looking for a guilty verdict" over the weekend. Waters' comments, including a call for protesters to get "more confrontational" if Chauvin is found not guilty...
Sounds to me like incitement to domestic terrorism:laugh:

Ste T.

Veteran
Biden's off the hook then. Had it been a hung jury and gone for a retrial his statement would have made one impossible.
Hopefully it will mean an end to the violence and they can move on with reforms where needed.

AuroraSaab

Über Member
I'm always amazed that free and prejudiced discussion of court cases is allowed in the US. It would simply be evidence for mistrial over here. Biden was ill advised to comment before the verdict, jury sequested or not.

I haven't followed the case in detail, but it seems a fair verdict. On the other hand, who would dare be a juror who voted not guilty?

Edit: just realised these issues are being discussed in the court case thread.

Last edited:
A few days after he took office he said that it was likely that +600,000 people would die as a result of the Covid 19 before things got better.
His words are correct I think. It is a difficult adjustment to make from a man spouting total bollox and utter lies to something resembling the observable reality.

OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I was lucky enough (due to insomnia) to hear Biden's address live last week. Have to say it was for me at least, pretty inspiring. Finally an adult in charge, a man of experience, with a vision and some plans that he might just be able to deliver on. An American who understands what it is to be a global power and how to use that position, not just for America, but for all. The way to make America great again is to restore it to a position of reasoned global leadership in critical areas of global political, humanitarian and environmental crisis. I felt a little more hopeful the next day....

man of experience, with a vision and some plans that he might just be able to deliver on.
I think the Republican Party is in dread fear of his infrastructure plan.
If it goes ahead undiluted and works it will prove to low income Americans that growth can come from the bottom up. That the trickledown reaganomics lie they have been sold was to serve the wealthy and only the wealthy.

MntnMan62

Über Member
but if america is filled with gun lovin pickup drivin racist a-holes, can it ever be great?
I'd say those people are the minority. Unfortunately there are enough of them the create havoc. Gun laws will have to become more restrictive in this country. That's just inevitable. But will take time. And until that happens, people will continue to die needlessly.

MntnMan62

Über Member
While we are on the subject, our own Chief Justice Warren Burger has said The Second Amendment "has been the subject of one of the greatest pieces of fraud, I repeat the word fraud,' on the American public," former chief justice Warren E. Burger said in a 1991 interview on PBS's "MacNeil/Lehrer NewsHour." Burger has said often that the "right to bear arms" belongs to the states, and he has attacked the NRA for fostering the opposite view.

The Second Amendment says, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

The widespread legal and judicial view is that the Second Amendment guarantees a state's right to be armed – for example, in today's National Guard.

When the Supreme Court has spoken in this area – and it has done so infrequently – it has begun with the idea that the Second Amendment protects a state's right to keep arms for a militia. In a nationally watched 1983 case, the justices let the town of Morton Grove, Ill., ban handguns. Without comment or dissent, they left intact a lower court decision rejecting the contention that Americans have a constitutional right to be armed.

In that case, the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the Second Amendment restricts federal authority in this area, not that of state and local governments. The court stated, "We conclude that the right to keep and bear handguns is not guaranteed by the Second Amendment."

Unfortunately we have uneducated people with 3 teeth in their mouthes who have taken the NRA mantra hook line and sinker merely to justify their ridiculous desire to have assault weapons and the like in their homes. This country won't sit right unless the unfettered right to own guns is curtailed and regulated properly.