JOGLE..Done it !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bianchi1

Guru
Well that was fun!

I had a week off my parenting duties last week so decided to use the time to increase my milage a bit.

The end to end ride has always appealed so i thought i would give it a go. I was offered a lift back from cornwall so went from north to south, light touring and staying at youth hostels on the way.

One taxi-plane-taxi-train-20 mile bike later and i arrived at JOG and a good nights sleep.

Day 1 was a windy (head/side) damp but pain free day to Aviemore.

Day 2 head wind in the morning then fog and rain and lost youth hostel in new lanark meant a late finish and knees and hands starting to 'twinge'

Day 3 was a mixture of heavy rain or light rain, gloves like sponges, knees now shot and a fun last 10 over the moor in Bowland forest in the driving rain and dark. Still i was in England.

Day 4 was a good day! Nurophened up into light rain but calm i set off toward the midlands. I met 2 lads who advised me that the A49 was a good way through the north. How right they were, the miles melted away and as i live in worcestershire i was home in enough time for a pint at my local. Shame about the last 50 miles of torrential rain, still once you are wet through you are wet through!

Day 5 lots of pain in my Knees, back, wrists and hands not to mention that i am by now wearing 2 pairs of cycling shorts! More nurofen. Steady ride down the A38 to bristol then a blustery head wind into Exeter.

Day 6 Still had the pain in my Knees, back, wrists and hands but now shocking pain in my right shin making hills very hard. Thank god i was in Cornwall!!!! Up down up down steep up steep down. The last 10 miles were good tho adrenaline pushing me to the end and a glorious sunset.

So 933 miles in a touch ( 11 min ) over 5 1/2 days. Would love to do it a bit slower, less busy roads and more touring and sightseeing. Maybe next time!!

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
Respect. That was a pretty good time especially as you did it the headwind way.

dodgy

Jebus, that's a quick time, average daily mileage around 160+ miles! Respect mate, I've thought about it and never really considered the prospect of having a mid ride pint in my local, but I'd be able to do the same :smile:

Dave.

ash68

as above, massive respect on completing the ride in a very fast time. I've never done that sort of ride before. The longest I've done is 330 miles in 3 days with camping gear etc.That was on the Border Reivers and C2C loop up here in the North of England. That had me wiped out. Well done mate.

Tynan

Veteran
strewth

I got interested 'a week off' and thought, is that all it needs?

tee hee and bravo

Well done!
I realised after I left john o groats last saturday that it must have been you i saw up there before the off. Were you riding around on a blue bianchi with 3/4 beige trousers on and a pair of shoes strapped to your rack top bag? If so, then belated hello, as I only put 2 and 2 together and realised it might have been you on the way back to inverness ( I was a bit knackered and so slow on the uptake)

Top Bottom