JOGLE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

davidtreth

I'm still on for doing this, I'm going to have my brother with me, starting on 26th May, and finishing in Newcastle on 3rd June.

I'm probably riding a Viking road bike of unknown vintage, 10 gears.
My brother is riding a fairly modern Dawes Super Galaxy, with 27 gears.

I suppose him having a triple chainset means that he'll find the climbs easier, also I'm substantially heavier than him.

Either I'll be forced to go up faster because of my higher gears or else he'll be going up faster because I'll be walking...

Alan Biles

Split JOGLE

I had a bash at JOGLE in April/May 2006 but had to abandon at Lancaster after my left knee blew out. I planned to get back to Lancaster later in the year and finish it off but never did and I eventually did LEJOG last year.

Good luck. I don't think your choice of bike will make a great deal of difference with the sector lengths you're planning, provided you're reasonably fit. Sure, your bro will have more gears to play with but that's about all.

The most difficult aspect of the whole ride will be getting back on the bike in September.

A

OP
OP
D

davidtreth

All done as far as Newcastle now, you can see the photos at http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~dlrt2/photos/cycle_tour_scotland_09/ and http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~dlrt2/photos/cycle_tour_scotland_09/panoramas/

The trip ran fairly smoothly, we got to Thurso late due to a delayed train into Inverness causing us to wait 3 hours for the next one. This meant we were still on the road after 10:30pm, and missed out on Dunnet Head in the interests of getting back in time for a takeaway.

Day 2 to Altnaharra, via Bettyhill was the only rain we had on the trip, it was fairly intermittent though, but a strong headwind along the coast made that section fairly tiring.

Day 3 to Carbisdale Castle was a short easy day, we got there by mid afternoon

Day 4 to Carrbridge was a long one, got lost going into Inverness and went back out to the A9/A82 roundabout, and had to cross busy dual carriageways and had trouble getting back to the route, once we did we went on a combination of A9/Old A9 to Carrbridge.

Day 5 to Braemar was very hilly, including big climbs at Bridge of Brown and Lecht and another one afterwards, we took a longish detour nearly via Ballater to avoid one last climb.

Towards the end of the day a couple of my spokes broke.

Day 6 to Perth, the Glenshee summit was easy compared with the Lecht. It was a bit scary though worrying the wheel might fail at any time

Day 7 - I took the train from Perth to Edinburgh because they didn't have the right wheel for my old bike in Perth. Thanks to the guys at Bike Station in Edinburgh.

Day 8 to Kirk Yetholm was fairly uneventful, taking the Dalkeith road out of Edinburgh and then the A68.

Final day to Newcastle began by actually crossing the border heading north into England, was fairly uneventful.

OP
OP
D

davidtreth

Yeah, I missed it out. I was meeting a friend in Edinburgh so decided not to go back to Perth and cycle from there. Now I need an excuse to go to Edinburgh so that I can fill that bit in.

My original intention was to do Newcastle to Land's End in September. However I might decide to do something completely different, like a tour round some of the west of Scotland that I missed out on this time. I'm thinking maybe starting from Inverness and cycling a loop around the west of Scotland, possibly taking in Skye and/or the Western Isles.

Sometime I'd also like to go to Ireland.

Top Bottom