John O' Groats to Lands End - Easter 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CurlyWurly

Hi All from a Suffolk Newbie...

I've just registered - this is my first time on cycle chat and am looking for a quick steer in the right direction.

Any suggestions for which forums I should head to or specific people anyone might recommend I speak with for advice on planning an adventure would be greatly appreciated.

I completed the national 3 peaks challenge July 08 (climbed Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Mt Snowdon in 24 hours) and am now planning my next somewhat ridiculous challenge - Cycling John o' Groats to Lands End - Easter 2010.

The adventure might seem a long way off but I haven't cycled for about 9 years (used to do a 15 mile daily commute to work for 2 years) so my friend and I intend building up to it over a 15 month period, buying the kit we need and developing fitness, stamina and experience as we go.

Any thoughts / advice welcomed

Kind regards,

CurlyWurly

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
It's not a particularly ridiculous challenge. Last year it was ridden by a 27 stone rider and I've ridden it both ways weighing around 24 and 23 stones respectively. It only becomes a ridiculous challenge when you try to do it in a ridiculous time like 44 hours.

A visit over to the LEJOG foum on the CTC web site contains lots of useful advice.

Lots of LEJOG links here: http://www.users.waitrose.com/~ianclare/links.htm

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I'm still in two minds about doing this ride soon...if I do I reckon on 14 days tops camping. Problem is that LE and JOG are both in the wrong places to get to for me...it's easier to get to France

snorri

Legendary Member
CurlyWurly said:
I completed the national 3 peaks challenge July 08 .... and am now planning - Cycling John o' Groats to Lands End - Easter 2010.

Your exploits of July '08 would suggest you are already considerably fitter than most people who start out on the End to End, why wait until 2010?
Don't get bogged down in the planning, just get out there and do it in Easter 09.:smile:

OP
OP
CurlyWurly

CurlyWurly

JOGLE

Thanks snorri for your encouraging words - I'd love to do it this Easter but sadly, I can't get the 2 weeks off work.

I agree with Bigonabianchi and Vernon that I'd like to take my time doing it. I reckon a fortnight will allow enough time for us to sleep off the hangover from the previous night before getting going again each morning... (He he he).

I'll take a look at the book (thanks samid) and I echo Kirsties shout for some LEJOG/JOGLE(as we intend starting up north) info from sticky...

If anyone fancies joining us, let me know and I'll fill you in on our planning as we go.

Cheers all!!!

TwoTired

Anyone can manage the E2E in 2 weeks. On my last E2E our age was nearly 132; both regular cyclists but no more than that. A daily commute of 10+ miles will soon get you fit. If you manage 75 miles back to back you're definitely fit enough.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
CurlyWurly said:
If anyone fancies joining us, let me know and I'll fill you in on our planning as we go.

I might be up for that, been thinking about if for a few years now :biggrin:

bazzerp

Interested. I'm just up the road in Norfolk. Ex road-runner & Orienteer, now near 60. Doing side to side (Aberystwyth to Aldeburgh) this June, over a very leisurely 7 days with a slower younger mate who hates hills.

Keep me posted.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
CurlyWurly said:
hiya fff - how come you've been thinking about it for a few years? would be glad to have you along

Well I have been contemplating both doing a LEJOG and also walking the Pennine way and as always it is a time thing fitting it in around family life.

2010 could be good for me

e-rider

crappy member
I agreed to do the LEJOG just before christmas in the pub after a few pints - planned for Aug. 2009 - better start training - 3 of us - 2 (3) non cyclists (depends if you count me!). Aim to do it in 10 days using B&Bs and hostels.

One thing: the weather could be awful at Easter - this would make the ride miserable

davidtreth

JoGLE

I'm planning to do JoGLE in late May/early June this year. I was just idly distracted this Monday afternoon by planning a route on Google Maps and thought I could actually do it. I found some cheap train tickets on 25th-26th May up to Thurso so ended up booking them.

I may split the ride into two at Newcastle, do one half in May/June and the other in September.

I'm planning to do 50-60 miles a day, staying in YHs and B&Bs.

Top Bottom