Johnny Hallyday to play the Royal Albert Hall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Johnny-Hallyday-007.jpg

68-year-old French rocker Johnny Hallyday is set to make his first UK appearance! Apparently he's sold 110 million records, although only three of those were in the UK. I've always thought him completely naff but I suppose this might light somebody's fire.... http://www.youtube.c...h?v=l2i5hIxAMBw

The RAH is right for the substantial French population of Battersea, Chelsea and Kensington, but I wondered if anybody here was even mildly curious

(edit) I've just endured this http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=P1h9wLhxPfo how one earth has he made a living?????

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
non, merci.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
He was playing in St Tropez when I spent a holiday there in the mid eighties. The french people I was staying with told me he was some sort of national treasure.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
He's actually not a bad actor when he tries. He was superb in L'homme du train (The Man on the Train) which I recommend to anyone. I wouldn't go to see him sing unless you paid me a lot of money.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I've just remembered Les Negresses Vertes - they were very good indeed.

And I have dim memories of Little Bob Story in the late seventies - like a proto-punk band with long hair.

Saw them play live a couple of times and Mlah and Famille Nombruese are regulars on my playlists. Brilliant band in its early forms with Helno at its core. They were still recording, albeit a very different style dub lounge.

But speaking of the Royal Albert Hall - I'm going to see The Cure play there next month.

yello

...don't get me started...

The guy is a hero worshipped here, a national treasure, an icon. France's most famous unknown. He was, I guess, France's Cliff Richard once upon a time. And in his time, was probably 'not bad' (official definition). Thing is, France is incredibly loyal, incredibly respectful of tradition and has a reverence for the way things are done. Johnny is Johnny and will always be. And when he dies there will be several days morning and a national holiday. Dogs will be named after him but you'll need government approval to name your child after him. His birth place will be declared a shrine. The television will be full of tributes to him for the rest of all time. In fact, there'll be a subscription 'Johnny' channel that's revenues alone will lift France from it's economic crisis. To say he is loved in France is the mother of all understatements.

However, if he was performing free in my local pub, I wouldn't go. In fact, I'd leave the area. He doesn't sing, he shouts.

yello

...too late...

...and another thing. He's a freaky looking sod. Yes, that is plastic surgery but he always did look a bit weird.

Edit: just found an interesting opinion piece. It had me smiling and nodding as it picked up on some of the things that I've noticed

That kind of conservatism is actually quite refreshing after the brutal neophilia (the constant need for the new and the culling of everything that is familiar) that one associates with British culture.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/8474488.stm

Top Bottom