Joint Cyclenation/CyclingUK conference 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

Slick

Guru
I'm at @cyclenationuk's #cnconf18 conference today, over in Birmingham, hosted by Push Bikes, hearing about #cycleadvocate, low traffic neighbourhoods and more.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/332185443605399?view=permalink&id=1130766500413952&refid=18 for my full commentary which should be public. I've shared that across a few cycling campaigns so it's where I'm posting first even though I'm iffy about the platform.
Shame I'm not on Facebook, it would have been interesting to hear your commentary.

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Shame I'm not on Facebook, it would have been interesting to hear your commentary.
Groan. Faceberk have gone backwards again. Let me paste it here too:

Interesting multimodal journey to #cnconf18. Because of a rubbish connection at Ely, I drove to another station with the bike in the car to find a closed train station car park and then a big puncture, but my journey was saved by late train. Puncture fixed during opening coffee at the conference. Phew!
Like · React · Reply · Edit · 6 hours ago
MJ Ray
Now I'm sat listening to the opening keynote from Katherine Nield of Client Earth, who are trying to hold government to account for the continuing illegal pollution
MJ Ray
now hearing about "clean air parents network"
MJ Ray
1 be vocal, 2. talk about cycling as a solution to air pollution, 3. engage with politicians
1 · Like · React · Reply · Edit · 6 hours ago
MJ Ray
Panel discussion about "everyone is an advocate" now. Trying to ask a question but it's difficult.
Like · React · Reply · Edit · 5 hours ago
MJ Ray
Slight pause in commentary there while I went on a guided cycle ride around the city centre and A38, then lunch. Camera pictures to follow.
Like · React · Reply · Edit · 3 hours ago
MJ Ray
Cycle traffic lights installed, ready for the diggers to finish the cycleway across a huge junction of two dual carriageways

MJ Ray
New cycle track in a wide tree-lined central reservation, avoiding some iffy busy turnings.

Like · React · Reply · Edit · 2 hours ago
MJ Ray
Protected two-way cycleway on a one-way road with its own cycle traffic light. Great but there's not enough of it in Birmingham yet.

MJ Ray
Sat in excellent Manchester Beelines talk. They're maybe 5 years ahead of Norfolk, a few years behind London but accelerating. Slides will be shared later.
MJ Ray
Now in political cycling workshop. Cycling isn't about cycling - it's about public health, fairness, access to jobs, saving high streets and more!
MJ Ray
Encouragement is not alignment: alignment on the problem, solution, prioritisation and investing political capital. Bigger majorities for politicians who build cycling infrastructures.
Edited · Like · React · Reply · Edit · 2 hours ago
MJ Ray
Waltham Forest Mini Holland has increased borough life expectency - most of any London borough - and by more in "high dose implementation areas". KCL researching it. Highway authorities are often public health authorities. Need to ask Norfolk public health committee what they're doing on transport, perhaps?
MJ Ray
Alignment vs feedback, opposition vs power, routes vs network, hard deliverables vs easy wins.
MJ Ray
Interesting session on the National Cycle Network. Priority for next 20 years is to improve the 40ish% of "very poor" routes, which is good, but it means the holes around Swaffham and Diss in Norfolk's red-numbered routes won't be closed any time soon.
Like · React · Reply · Edit · 12 minutes ago

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Pictures didn't paste. Here they are.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-11-24-13-57-49.png
    Screenshot_2018-11-24-13-57-49.png
    303.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_2018-11-24-13-54-00.png
    Screenshot_2018-11-24-13-54-00.png
    355.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_2018-11-24-13-54-52.png
    Screenshot_2018-11-24-13-54-52.png
    313.8 KB · Views: 35

Slick

Guru
Groan. Faceberk have gone backwards again. Let me paste it here too:

Interesting multimodal journey to #cnconf18. Because of a rubbish connection at Ely, I drove to another station with the bike in the car to find a closed train station car park and then a big puncture, but my journey was saved by late train. Puncture fixed during opening coffee at the conference. Phew!
MJ Ray
Now I'm sat listening to the opening keynote from Katherine Nield of Client Earth, who are trying to hold government to account for the continuing illegal pollution
MJ Ray
now hearing about "clean air parents network"
MJ Ray
1 be vocal, 2. talk about cycling as a solution to air pollution, 3. engage with politicians
1 · Like · React · Reply · Edit · 6 hours ago
MJ Ray
Panel discussion about "everyone is an advocate" now. Trying to ask a question but it's difficult.
Like · React · Reply · Edit · 5 hours ago
MJ Ray
Slight pause in commentary there while I went on a guided cycle ride around the city centre and A38, then lunch. Camera pictures to follow.
MJ Ray
Cycle traffic lights installed, ready for the diggers to finish the cycleway across a huge junction of two dual carriageways

MJ Ray
New cycle track in a wide tree-lined central reservation, avoiding some iffy busy turnings.

MJ Ray
Protected two-way cycleway on a one-way road with its own cycle traffic light. Great but there's not enough of it in Birmingham yet.

MJ Ray
Sat in excellent Manchester Beelines talk. They're maybe 5 years ahead of Norfolk, a few years behind London but accelerating. Slides will be shared later.
MJ Ray
Now in political cycling workshop. Cycling isn't about cycling - it's about public health, fairness, access to jobs, saving high streets and more!
MJ Ray
Encouragement is not alignment: alignment on the problem, solution, prioritisation and investing political capital. Bigger majorities for politicians who build cycling infrastructures.
MJ Ray
Waltham Forest Mini Holland has increased borough life expectency - most of any London borough - and by more in "high dose implementation areas". KCL researching it. Highway authorities are often public health authorities. Need to ask Norfolk public health committee what they're doing on transport, perhaps?
MJ Ray
Alignment vs feedback, opposition vs power, routes vs network, hard deliverables vs easy wins.
MJ Ray
Interesting session on the National Cycle Network. Priority for next 20 years is to improve the 40ish% of "very poor" routes, which is good, but it means the holes around Swaffham and Diss in Norfolk's red-numbered routes won't be closed any time soon.
Like · React · Reply · Edit · 12 minutes ago
Was there any outcome on pollution or recommendations?

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

ago
MJ Ray
Donnachadh of Stop the Killing talking about National Funeral for the victims of traffic violence. Accused other groups of failing to support it and being compromised by taking government contracts or company sponsorships. People from those other groups responded... Tough choices there.
MJ Ray
https://www.eta.co.uk/2018/11/02/stop-killing-our-children/ mentioned.

Stop Killing Our Children
eta.co.uk
MJ Ray
Duncan of CUK suggesting we talk about active travel, healthy streets and not direct it all at transport departments.
MJ Ray
Local Cycling and Walking Implementation Plans. 46 areas, only half of non-London England have them so far, some very unambitious but the most ambitious are most likely to get funds. Not yet any dedicated funding announced so some LAs aren't getting ready so will miss out.

Top Bottom