Judges have quashed the convictions of 39 former postmasters after the UK's most widespread miscarriage of justice.

Ajax Bay

Guru
R4 09:45 and 00:45 also gives insight: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000jfyv
Made the point that the tragic crash of the RAF Chinook into Kintyre and the long road to establishing 'blame' informed the understanding of the fallibility of IT, or at least allowing that to be a possibility.
Separately Ken Macdonald, Baron Macdonald of River Glaven, Kt, QC (Hd CPS 2003–2008, Sir Kier Starmer's predessor) offered a general critique of the structure and control of private prosecutions on R4 PM (~1720ish) and possible revisions.

Made the point that the tragic crash of the RAF Chinook into Kintyre and the long road to establishing 'blame' informed the understanding of the fallibility of IT, or at least allowing that to be a possibility.
In fact both the Chinook crash and the Post Office saga were the subjects of long-running campaigns for justice by Computer Weekly.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Writing quality software is difficult.I wonder what the nature of the bug was in this case.

I listened to a radio programme on this a few months ago. There was one postmistress prosecuted. Her whole village turned up to support her in court because none of them believed she'd done it. The chap on the radio being interviewed today - either he was a totally straight guy or he is a better actor than Marlon Brando.

Last edited:

JtB

Black Lives Matter
When I was a software engineer, one of the rules was “don’t try automating a bad proceses”. Based on the experience of my Dad who was a sub-postmaster in the mid 70’s I think the manual accounting process was bad to start with and should have been fixed before introducing the computer system.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
“don’t try automating a bad proceses”.
I think you have something there.

Years ago, my bank manager brother thought about buying a post office 'a bank of my very own' as he described it.

He got as far as examining the books of one which was on offer.

One of the reasons he withdrew was because he was uncomfortable with the way the Post Office insisted on doing the accounts.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
This topic always reminds me of the case of Robin Garbutt - convicted of murdering his postmistress wife.

The deed happened in the leafy north Yorkshire village of Melsonby, making the tale like something out of Midsomer Murders.

Horizon gets a mention, although Garbutt has firmly nailed his colours to an alleged intruder to explain the missing money and his wife's death.

The prosecution claimed he'd been thieving from the post office for years, so invented a robbery to cover up the missing money.

Not entirely clear why he needed to do in his wife as well, but the marriage appears to have not been happy, and maybe she refused to assist his offending.

Fair summary here:

https://www.thejusticegap.com/robin...ife-challenges-conviction-for-a-third-time-2/

Free Robin website:

http://www.robingarbuttofficial.com/

I think the legal system needs to be looked at as well as surely some people must have questioned the numbers of people they were prosecuting .
I think the people who have been suffering from all this need a "I Fought the Post Office and Won !" Medal as well as compensation .

Also all those involved in this scandal should be made to suffer the same public humiliation !

Reactions: C R

C R

Veteran
"Alexa: Show me a story that demonstrates the true caring attitudes of the clergy"
Yep, one bit that stood out was that she is a member of the cofe committee that advises on ethical investments. You really couldn't make it up.

As someone said above, her CBE should be withdrawn, there's as much reason for the withdrawal as there was with Philip Green or the RBS chap.

Top Bottom