Jumping Red Light?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
Yes
Yes
No
Maybe, depends

Maz

Guru
Why would all the lights be red? I would've thought that if they were red in one direction, they'd be green in the other.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Just blinking go, how much of your life are you going to waste wondering about something like that. No one will care anyway

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Probably
Yes
Possibly

Tynan

Veteran
I wouldn't ride it, I'd ride a route along with the cars, stopping to use crossings and going contra flow is all separatist and silly imho

Maz said:
Why would all the lights be red? I would've thought that if they were red in one direction, they'd be green in the other.
I've come accross an all red without ped stage before; I think its an unofficial ped stage. Other times it because it is too dangerous to stop one traffic flow and immediately start the other, so they wait a period of time first.
There's also a similar contra flow near me where the cyclist is dumped at a junction where there is no specific bike provision at the lights. The Rodney Street/ Cannonmills junction, coming from Eyre Place. I think I've used it about twice in 2 years, it's quite popular with other cyclist though.

Tynan

Veteran
exactly re dumping, I go round the rather large Green Man roundabout of late, there's what looks like a rather good underpass to a cycle roundabout in the centre, a squint at google maps suggest that were i to take it it would leave me on the wrong side of the road for my exit, presumably to use the ped crossing to then get onto the right side of the road

jezhiggins

I haven't in all my time using this been able to work out the sequence. It seems that all of the other lights are at red, without a ped green, for a significant amount of time without the cycle light being on green.

I've never been able to work it out either. Often it seems to go through the entire sequence twice, before suddenly giving you the green bike.

If all the lights were red, or there was nothing coming, would you cross the junction if the bike light was red? Does this count at a RLJ? Is obeying cycling lights compulsory like road traffic lights, or advisory like the shared one to get you onto the triangle?

This junction is the only place I ever run the lights, and when I do it's generally the middle of night and there's nobody around.

Maz

Guru
If you use it but it's too long a delay, tell the council about it.
I think I'd stay on the road otherwise.

GrahamG

Guru
I've done that bit a couple of times, I ignore the lights and just go when it's clear - not many cars do the right turn to go up Hurst Street so I just go by where that pinky looking car is. If it's poorly designed or the lights are so badly phased that you wait long enough to think they're broken (like many ped crossings which give far too much deference to traffic) then I just ignore it like a shoot cycle lane.

Top Bottom