Junction Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
Made a video about a difficult and frankly weird junction on my route home from work:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWvUE1xKOYg

I've had worse moments than this on it - from that vid it looks like I pulled out quite late in front of that Daewoo, but my usual issue is cars coming the other way turning to their right, and other cars moving around them to go straight on despite the turning car blocking their view of what's ahead!

It's a lot easier when there's a car already in front of me at the lights - I just follow them through. Part of me thinks if I come to the junction with no one in front I'd be sensible to just get off and push across the pedestrian crossing, but that seems somewhat defeatist!

Anyone dealt with similar junctions in the past? Any advice on how to deal with it?
Or should I perhaps be campaigning to get it changed?

EDIT: uploaded to wrong account. Stupid gmail/google+/youtube integration.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Almost identical to the right turn into the village where I live. I think you may be too far back in a kind of no mans land. I go much deeper into the v shape so I'm almost level with the kerb of the road I'm turning into.
Depends how many go through after red but if you're further across it's a much shorter scoot across to the left side of the road rather than being stranded on the right.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I do an exact replica of that junction on my commute home everyday. You need to move much more forward. To where the white line curves left (following the turn right arrow) in the vid. That way you will have much more control of the junction. Especially with traffic coming from your left.

G-Zero

Über Member
It's difficult to tell from the vid, but the traffic coming towards you and intending straight ahead have priority over you. It does look as if you cut the oncoming vehicle up and cause it to slow down, but that might not be the perspective on the ground.
When your lights change to green and you move to the middle of the junction and are waiting for a safe gap to cross over the oncoming lane, you are committed at that point and legally have a right to complete your turn. If the lights change at that point you still have priority over traffic coming from your left and right, until your turn is completed. However, I fully understand why you would not want to be stranded mid-junction, especially if commuting in the dark.

If the timing of the phase does not allow enough time for you to complete your manouevre safely, contact the relevant dept and tell them it's a safety issue and needs checking.

ohnovino

Large Member
I'd also be inclined to stop a little further forward. It does mean effectively giving up primary and allowing any following car to overtake through the junction, but it would appear to get you out of the firing line a bit.

Horrible junction.

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
More like this?

beeston-junction4.png

I'll give that a go tonight.

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
It does look as if you cut the oncoming vehicle up and cause it to slow down, but that might not be the perspective on the ground.

It does indeed look like that, but at the time it did feel a lot further away, and that I'd moved a lot sooner. Might be due to me riding fixed at the moment so have a second or so of not really moving in relation to making effort.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
More like this?

[attachment=5463:beeston-junction4.png]

I'll give that a go tonight.
yes

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
I'm afraid it's green.

Although there may be a black one soon. Which may then become white.

But either way, not blue.

In other news, I failed to attempt this new method of negotiation this evening because the trains went wrong and I ended up taking a different route, but thanks all for the advice and I shall see how I get on next time I encounter it.

Edge705

Made a video about a difficult and frankly weird junction on my route home from work:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JWvUE1xKOYg

I've had worse moments than this on it - from that vid it looks like I pulled out quite late in front of that Daewoo, but my usual issue is cars coming the other way turning to their right, and other cars moving around them to go straight on despite the turning car blocking their view of what's ahead!

It's a lot easier when there's a car already in front of me at the lights - I just follow them through. Part of me thinks if I come to the junction with no one in front I'd be sensible to just get off and push across the pedestrian crossing, but that seems somewhat defeatist!

Anyone dealt with similar junctions in the past? Any advice on how to deal with it?
Or should I perhaps be campaigning to get it changed?

EDIT: uploaded to wrong account. Stupid gmail/google+/youtube integration.

The way I attack difficult junctions is to avoid them completely can you not do this with a little detour? IMHO at that junction its an accident waiting to happen

It does indeed look like that, but at the time it did feel a lot further away, and that I'd moved a lot sooner. Might be due to me riding fixed at the moment so have a second or so of not really moving in relation to making effort.

Get gears then and stop poncing around trying to be cool :tongue:

Top Bottom