Just a little story .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
A couple of weeks ago .I answered a request for any Leeds cyclists to take out a newbie .So i held talks with my main cycling buddy and we agreed to give this a try .So we arranged to meet up and take him to Otley .30miles ish .So at said time up turns a nearly 17 year old chap .Riding a bso .Intros over we checked his bike out soggy tyres and seat too low .Got them sorted .I had a feeling he might not have any cycling gear after talking on the phone .So i took him one jersey one jacket and a pair of bikesters .Well he was a joy to ride with ,he was on a mountain bike .But he took all our instructions and rode well .Ride two my mate is going to give him a jersey and i think a pair of baggies .I gave him an old helmet of mine .And i took him and another newbie along the tow path Leeds and Liverpool canal again they were both brill .Well tomorrow we might just havefound him a second hand road bike .Wev will know by 9-30 .So if you get a chance to intoduce someone to cycling give it a try .It's brill knowing when your long gone i am 61 he is not quite 17 he will still be cycling and he might just take a chance on teaching someone .

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Great stuff - keep it up!

I like the mix of ages I get on my forum rides. The youngest were 17 and 18 and the oldest (I think) have been in their 60s. I don't think anybody has been 70 or older yet. There's a good mix of us in our 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s. There never seem to be any age-related problems.

We haven't actually had any novice riders yet though. Most of my rides are probably a bit too long and hilly for somebody who has just started riding, unless they are already fit from some other sport.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Nice one postman well done. I've got a couple of bikes that aren't really good enough to sell but would be brilliant beginners bikes that I've been wondering what to do with (an old Emmelle mountain bike and a Decathlon Rockrider 5 ). It'd be nice to be able to do something like you've done.

Paul

Maz

Guru
Good story, that, postman. Nice to hear!

Top Bottom