Just a simple little bell...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In my experience your wasting your time fitting a bell, most peds will not take any notice.

Recycler

I've got an Air Zound horn and it is very good, but I'm not convinced that it is a good idea to routinely use it on a shared cycle/pedestrian path. It may get walkers to move over but, if it's use appears to be aggressive isn't it likely to create ill-will?

Personally, when I'm on a cycle path I prefer to gently call out "Excuse me" as I approach, but I'm also happy to use my brakes if necessary.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
I know the bits on the b2b to go slow (and when I can hammer it) and just hover over the brake. To be fair suicide peds are common place everywhere! Just cycled up newquay highstreet and had 4 seperate occasions of suicide peds!

caimg

Über Member
Can't agree with anybody here saying don't have a bell on the bike. If you have so many essential accessories on the bars then possibly...but I've just gone for a ride around and about North London with the missus and both me and her had genuine success with dumbass peds, as I do regularly. Also, if you're using any shared towpaths (I go along Regents Canal now and again) it is a MUST and EVERYBODY listens and reacts accordingly.

caimg

Über Member
I should say that I only use the bell in instances from approaching from rather far away to give some fore-warning. When passing its the usual 'excuse me...thank you!' and if there's an unusually large crowd or simply no way of passing without inconveniencing peds I'll wait until there's space.

I have a bell on all my bikes and have snapped the dinger off two of them trying to gets peds to hear me - usually only to find they are on a mobile or wearing earphones.
Unfortunately they are completely useless against dog-peds with their pooch on a trip wire on the opposite side of the paths:-0

I'd like an airzound but her indoors says they are to dangerous!! Oh, they have a volume control. Also, they should make them twin-tone so more like a car horn.

Tony

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Dont use airhorns on pedestrians, it makes riders look like an arse.

I have a traditional bell (with the spinning twin hammers inside) on both bikes. I dont like the simple "ping" hammer type. Most pedestrians dont actually take a blind bit of notice, though.

Top Bottom