Just a thought.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

l4dva

Guru
I have been waiting ages for my "cycle to work" bike to come through.... my LBS has got it on order, its a specialized tricross sport but there has been some delays (I think the bike store forgot to order it, but I could be wrong).

Anyways I was thinking the only reason I wanted this bike was the fact that I like to ride along canal tow paths sometimes. And as it is a hybrid it could handle that.

I already have a mountain bike (old and nothing special, prob need a good service and fixing up abit but nothing major). Orginally I was planning on never using this again, it is really bulky and heavy. I never really had any problems with it (although I haven't actually used in about 6/7 years) It's just the fact that I actually plan to do very long distances now with my new bike.

I got thinking and thought, maybe I should get myself the specialized allez which is of similar value but a full on road bike instead of hybrid, and use that for daily commute and training etc but then have the old mountain for the canal rides.

What would you do?? What are the major differences between the two ( I don't really understand the technical terms on the spec listings) Obviously the tyres are fatter on the tricross hence the ability to ride on the canal paths but what other differences are there other than this? Could I get away with getting two sets of tyres one larger with tread for the occasional gravel track rides and one set of slicks for road? What would be the largest tyre size that the allize would allow for, I know the tricross comes with 32's which is pretty wide.

I can see myself really getting back in cycling and don't want to think to myself why didn't I get a proper road bike to begin with in a few years time ( when all the techinal stuff actually means something to me) or should I just stop being silly and stick with the orginal bike that I saw and liked?

Thanks

L4dva

Randochap

Senior hunter
Hi in Brum from a Wolverhamptoner who wandered!

The Allez is a racing bike.

The Tricross Sport is a "cross bike," not a hybrid.

The Allez has higher gears (20-sp double) with a low of 33.7 inches. It probably won't fit anything bigger than a 25mm tyre and has no way to affix proper mudguards and a rack.

The Tricross has 9-sp triple w/ low of around 25" -- much more suitable for touring, carrying luggage, steep hils and/or long distance riding. It has cantilever brakes and oodles of clearance for big, comfy tyres. It has rack braze-ons on the rear seat stays and eyelets for mudguards/rack.

I'm not a racer. I'm a commuter and long-distance marathon rider (randonneur). So, if I had to choose one, it's easy to guess which it would be.

slow down

I use a standard road bike with 23/25 tyres on on canal towpaths, bridleways, rough stuff etc. It just means you have to avoid potholes/large rocks rather than riding over them, and be wary if the towpath is muddy and/or slippery. The Allez will cope with towpaths fine - it just adds to your bike handling skills.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Have you test ridden a Tricross? if so and you love it i would not go out and get something different because you dont want to wait (thats odd coming from me as I it sounds like something I would do). The Tricross does have a good reputation as a bit of an all rounder.

Having said that I was looking at the Tricross and had the same thoughts you did and I actually ended up buying an Allez. I love it and dont mind not being able to take it across a field or off road or even having to plan my journeys as i cant take anything on racks/panniers.

But to be fair as Dave5N said if you do get seriously into cycling you will want a new weapon after 18 months to 2 years any way and either bike will see you good for that period, its just a matter of priorities? which of the strengths of each option is more important. My company love bikes, so I have a change of clothes, a few spares and tools etc at the office and can leave the bike here if need be so I dont mind the flexibility restrictions the Allez has. If you want to be able to cut across a field or some woods and have some fun in the mud a Tricross is the way forward.

In my honest and indecisive opinion you cant go far wrong with either!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
If it was me I would get the Allez but then I only cycle on the road.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Randochap said:
Hi in Brum from a Wolverhamptoner who wandered!

The Allez is a racing bike.

The Tricross Sport is a "cross bike," not a hybrid.

The Allez has higher gears (20-sp double) with a low of 33.7 inches. It probably won't fit anything bigger than a 25mm tyre and has no way to affix proper mudguards and a rack.

The Tricross has 9-sp triple w/ low of around 25" -- much more suitable for touring, carrying luggage, steep hils and/or long distance riding. It has cantilever brakes and oodles of clearance for big, comfy tyres. It has rack braze-ons on the rear seat stays and eyelets for mudguards/rack.

I'm not a racer. I'm a commuter and long-distance marathon rider (randonneur). So, if I had to choose one, it's easy to guess which it would be.

I'm not sure what a 'cross bike' is, but it sounds like a tourer minus the accessories. Like Randochap, I'm not a racer, but a commuter and occasional tourer/leisure rider, so I reckon I'd be going for the tricross too - in fact I'd want a full-on tourer....

Gary D

L4dva,
I fully appreciate your dilemma as I have been there myself!
I started with a £300 hyrbrid for pootling with the kids (I don't/can't commute). However, due to encouragement from a neighbour, I started going on "longer" (20-25 miles :tongue:) rides on the road. The bug then bit me :rolleyes: I then started thinking along the lines you are - buy a bike that is suitable for the road, but can do the light off road as well. So I bought a Tricross about 2 years ago.
However, up until the Autumn last year, the bike had never been used off-road - only on road.
When I got even more enthusiastic, I then bought myself another bike - this time a full carbon bling road bike. As it happens, I have now used the Tricross actually for Cross racing, but that was never my original intention. OK, I appreciate I am lucky that I can afford to buy 3 bikes in a short period of time but for a period of time I actually regretted buying the Tricross and wished I had gone straight for the road bike. In saying that, if I had, I wouldn't have spent the sort of money on the road bike as I did.......... blah, blah, blah, :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:.... not being much help am I?

Seriously, reading between the lines of your OP, I assume you don't ride at all at the moment? Also, you want to be able to commute by bike but anticipate getting more involved in cycling as a hobby?

If my assumption is correct then I would recommend buying the Allez for leisure road riding and doing up your MTB, fitting some slick tyres, probably fitting mudguards and using it to commute.

As others have said, whichever route you go down, you will almost certainly want to upgrade or buy another bike very quickly anyway :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Hope this helps - probably doesn't :blush:

Gary.

wyno70

I ride both on and off road. Personally I'd go for the Allez and do up your mountain bike, however, if you get the bug as you've suggested, I reckon you will have replaced both with 2 years anyway!!!!

OP
OP
L

l4dva

Guru
Hey thanks for the responses!

Wigsie - Yes I did test ride the tricross and I did love it!

Gary – What’s this cross cyclying all about? Sorry if that’s a really silly question but I've never really herd of it before. You were right with your assumptions, I've not rode in a long time but deff see my self getting well into it! I used to love riding as a teenager but passing driving test and getting a car put a stop to all of that in minutes lol

I think if I stick with the tricross for now, at least I can ease myself back into cycling with something a little more "user friendly". I can see myself keeping the tricross for some time for the commutes seen as it is so versatile and able to do so much. I don’t think I will put the old mountain bike back into action now, if im only going to replace my mountain bike any ways then I don’t really want to spend loads putting it back on the road. Might try selling it off or giving it away. If I am going to have two bikes I might as well have a tricross now as commuting/training needs come first I suppose! Then in a year or two when the next round of cycle to work schemes come round, I’ll get my self the allez or equivalent. By then ill be fitter, and able to make better use of and appreciate a proper road racer a lot more.

I spoke to the chap in the bike store today he said I should have it by the end of the week! Lets just hope the weekend weather is good :rofl:

Thanks for all your advise, I'll let you know how I get on!

Gary D

No problem. Good decision based upon your current needs. The Tricross will make an excellent commuter :smile: :smile:

Bet you a tenner though that you will buy a proper road bike within 2 years max. - and it won't be an Allez - Roubaix or equivalent at least!! :sad: :sad:

Cyclo Cross is about racing around an off-road course on a park or playing field in the winter time on a bike that looks a bit like a road bike - but isn't. It is a great sport for all age groups and abilities. See the British Cycling website for more info:

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/site/BC/cyx/cyclo_cross_about.asp

There is a very strong Cross league in the Midlands for all of the local clubs. See http://www.wmccl.co.uk/ When you get in to it more you never know we might persuade you to try a race!! ;) :biggrin:

Good luck with your bike :biggrin: :biggrin:

Gary.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
l4dva said:
Hey thanks for the responses!

Wigsie - Yes I did test ride the tricross and I did love it!

Decision made then L4dva surely?? if you loved it then go for it!

Gary D is right, within 2 years you will be figuring out ways in which you can justify buying a Specialized Roubaix or Tarmac for 2k let alone an Allez, as much as I think mine is awesome I can see myself upgrading within 2 years. if you get the tricross you can keep it as a winter/training bike and keep the new one for nice dry days! with an allez you would have 2 summer road bikes or 1 incredibly un practical winter commuter in the guise of an old Allez.

I commute on a Tricross, a colleague does so on an Allez. We've both kept it up through the winter with no major problems. My tricross takes the rubbish ashphalt, potholes etc with no problems. I have ridden it off road with a mountain biker (not something I'd want to do every day; I love it. My colleague is a semi-professional footballer who likes to fly like the wind at all times and just sticks to roads.

Top Bottom