Just been told I'm off to Brussels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Greedo

for New Year. Anybody been? Where's good to go for beers, meals etc..... staying in the city centre at the Le Meridien

Fly out on the 31st and back on the 2nd.

I love my Mrs and her pal. They organise stuff like this and me and my mate forget about it and then after Christmas you've got a wee treat to look forward. Would be even better if she was paying though? I really hate new year and to get away is great. We've done, the Scottish cottage, Amsterdam and Prague last year.

You will sprout muscles no doubt...

saddlesoar

I have been to Brussels a couple of times but I left almost as soon as I got there. Tells you all you need to know really! Although I can recommend a trip to the Atomium (near Heisel Stadium). Don't bother to go inside but it is an impressive structure.

I can't recommend anywhere specifically to eat or drink (there are loads of places, you won't starve), but beware of a dish called "Fillet American". It's practically raw meat.
Also look out on the Metro, the doors close very quickly. Whilst we were getting off, my missus on the platform, me on the train, our little boy halfway on and off the train with his head stuck in the door!

Apart from that Bruxelles is great, have a good time.

Bodhbh

Guru
Go and nip out somewhere like Bruge for daytrip, iirc must only be 45mins or so, nowhere in Belgium is very far away. Other spot I can think of is the Battle of Waterloo site a little bit south, but dunno if it'll be open then.

The Grand Place is the must see iirc on the tourist list. There's that Manakin Pils thing, but tbh it's not much to see. I lived there a couple of years and kept walking past it withotu ever noticing it. La Mort Subite (Sudden Death) is one fo the best known bars in Brussels to try fruit and lambic beer etc, but there's a few around the centre.

The EU parliment and distract might be worth a walk around too, depends what you like. There's the chip shop in Brussels somewhere in the EU district (have to google it) but even the McDonalds over there does good belgian frites. Just off top of my head anyhow, was 8 yrs ago I was there.

Bodhbh

Guru
saddlesoar said:
Although I can recommend a trip to the Atomium (near Heisel Stadium). Don't bother to go inside but it is an impressive structure.

I can't recommend anywhere specifically to eat or drink (there are loads of places, you won't starve), but beware of a dish called "Fillet American". It's practically raw meat.
The Atomium is that giant cubey thing? IIRC there's some fairly distictive 'art deco' buildings around there also which are worth a look at while wondering around.

I ordered the fillet american early on not knowing what it was - 3/4th a pound of raw mince with a raw egg cracked on top and a few lettuce leaves. I bit odd, but got to like it eventually. It's also a sandwich filling of raw mince.

I liked Brussels, but it's not the place that bowls you over immediately and the rain... ;)

Blackandblue

A lot of people I know think Brussels is dull but I think it's fab. Visit the Grand Place for the spectacle of it but don't eat or drink there. Visit the Sablon for the antiques market and the bars and restaurants around there.

Plenty of good restaurants and bars generally.

Filet americain is basically steak tartare - raw minced beef - an acquired taste but I really like it.

Avenue Louise has all the really expensive boutique shops so be warned if the other halves suggest a walk along there....

Tetedelacourse

Greedo said:
for New Year. Anybody been? Where's good to go for beers, meals etc..... staying in the city centre at the Le Meridien

Fly out on the 31st and back on the 2nd.

I love my Mrs and her pal. They organise stuff like this and me and my mate forget about it and then after Christmas you've got a wee treat to look forward. Would be even better if she was paying though? I really hate new year and to get away is great. We've done, the Scottish cottage, Amsterdam and Prague last year.

Let's hope this year isn't quite so hectic.

Agree with you about NY in general though. Last two years we've averaged 11pm bedtime. Feckin Jackie Bird. Sling it BEAK.

OP
OP
G

Greedo

Aye very funny :tongue:

If i was stuck in the house I'd not even put the tele on. That skinny boot is enough to put you off yer beer, whisky and wine!!!!

Tetedelacourse said:
Let's hope this year isn't quite so hectic.

Agree with you about NY in general though. Last two years we've averaged 11pm bedtime. Feckin Jackie Bird. Sling it BEAK.

papercorn2000

Look on the bright side, there is "Still Game" to look forward to - and then roads all to yourself the next morning!

Top Bottom