Just emailed this to National Express West Midlands...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
I had the same recently with an Abellio bus, route 441. Same type of unnecessary and dangerous driving and contempt from the driver.

It took two weeks for the written response of which it was the bog standard one, edited badly and detailing action had been taken but couldn't tell me what. In verbal conversation, they seemed very concerned, what felt slightly better. Slighty..

However, it would be good to know what these companies actual procedures are in these circumstances rather the sprout of the normal drivel. Alas, they are not forthcoming.

Good luck in this.

[QUOTE 1752072, member: 45"]I commute by bicycle most days in Birmingham and generally find your bus drivers to be courteous and responsible. The fact that is is almost two years since I have had to contact you regarding poor driving standards is testament to this.

This afternoon, I was travelling out of the city on Gooch St around 15:30-15:35 when I was overtaken by a number 35 bus, registration BX02 AVD. The initial overtake was close but acceptable. However, the bus was not fully past me before the driver swung into the kerb sharply to get his wheels between the triple speed humps that feature on Gooch St. The rear of the bus passed me within 20-30cm of my shoulder and I was forced towards the kerb to avoid a collision. Here- http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=dig...8&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=digbeth&radius=15000&t=h&z=21

I passed the bus while it was stationary at the next stop and carried on to the junction with Belgrave Middleway. The traffic lights were red at this junction so I stopped in the queue of cars, to the right-hand side but still within the lane and with the intention of carrying straight on over the junction, as only bicyles and buses are permitted to do. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=dig...8&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=digbeth&radius=15000&t=h&z=20

The same bus then overtook me and the other traffic on the wrong side of the road and carried on to the stop line in the bus lane. This time he passed within 20cm of my handlebars, causing me distress as I feared that he was going to hit me.

I rode to the drivers window and pointed out that he had almost hit me twice within the space of a few minutes. His responses included "I gave you enough room","I didn't hit you, did I?", "what are you going to do?" and "I'm a professional driver, I know how much room to give you." In response to the final comment, I asked him what the Highway Code says about how much space should be given to cyclists when overtaking. He raised his hands, smiled and said that he did not know.

I asked for the driver's name and for him to tell me which garage he was from. Several times he refused. He then asked me what I was going to do, told me to call the police, and drove off.

The driver had long brown hair in a pony tail and was wearing a baseball cap. By his accent I assume that he is European but not British.

You will appreciate that I was disturbed by the risk that this driver put me at, and consider it way below the standard that I normally experience and would expect from NEWM. The driver did not appear to take my concerns seriously as he was smiling throughout the discussion.

I would expect you to take this complaint seriously and follow your normal procedures. At the very least the driver should be aware of the contents of the Highway Code and should drive in accordance to the guide.

I would also hope for something more than your standard "we take this very seriously and have spoken to the driver concerned" response, as I have received this in the past only to discover that it was not true. I appreciate your consideration of data protection when discussing individual drivers (though I do not agree with your position) but do not find any reassurance in standard phrases pasted into your response.

Please do not hesitate in contacting me if you need any further information. My aim in this is that professional driving standards are improved in this city, so that the roads are a safer place for the most vulnerable road users.

Thank you.[/quote]
look forward to seeing their reply User.

jonathanw

Chorlton and the Wheelies
Well, I no longer think the professional driver arguement applies

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-17066798

However, when I complained to a bus depot I got the standard
-professional driver
-many years with company, no other complaints
-your word versus his
-please feel free to contact the police

Glad you are ok. You must however report to the company, otherwise "many years with company, no other complaints" will be forever perpetuated

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
There was no video camera, so it didn't happen. If there was video, you did something wrong by not avoiding it or riding defensively enough. [/commuting]

More seriously, that's not good driving. Hope you get satisfaction with the response from the company.

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
Most N.E. buses/vehicles are now fitted with collision cameras

Are these like targeting crosshairs making it easier to hit us?

classic33

Leg End Member
Are these like targeting crosshairs make it easier to hit us?

Nah, its in case they get hit. Try & cut the number of claims against them. Some even have them inside over the driver. Driver has/should have no access to the recording equipment though. Recording used only in the event of an incident.

400bhp

Guru
[QUOTE 1752072, member: 45"]
I would also hope for something more than your standard "we take this very seriously and have spoken to the driver concerned" response, as I have received this in the past only to discover that it was not true.

[/quote]

Interesting. What did you discover? I intimated this in a recent thread (can't remember which one-Bigsharn?) that the stock response received to me sounded like flannel.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I have emailed companies in the past about their bad driving. It has got me nowhere.
The majority of the time I dont get a response, but I remember one who was quite rude and aggressive.
They started arguing about my road positioning and attitude towards cycling. Whereas the video I attached, showed nothing wrong with my positioning but did show the driver skid off from a junction and turn without using a signal.

BSRU

A Human Being
I have emailed companies in the past about their bad driving. It has got me nowhere.
The majority of the time I dont get a response, but I remember one who was quite rude and aggressive.
They started arguing about my road positioning and attitude towards cycling. Whereas the video I attached, showed nothing wrong with my positioning but did show the driver skid off from a junction and turn without using a signal.
I have found writing to companies about an incident generally works very well, no point emailing a very small company as it is probably the boss/owner driving.

akb

Veteran
I have emailed companies in the past about their bad driving. It has got me nowhere.​

IME, emailing and writing a formal letter are two completely different things. Email, IMO, is an informal communication tool. Where-as writing a letter may be noticed a bit more if properly written and or worded, and can come across as professional and formal. Writing / posting a letter takes effort, which I am sure the recipient will appreciate.

If I wanted some form of reply, instead of the standard copy and paste email response, I would write a letter.

Just to add to the mixing pot...! ^_^

Top Bottom