Just realised it's the start of Lent this week

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Lend me £10 then.

LynnA

Last year I gave up alcohol and became vegetarian and put on a stone in weight - I don't know how that happened ;)

This year I'm giving up potatoes, which for an Irish girl will be really difficult :biggrin:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I am giving up answering the telephone. The answer machine is on all the time now. I am assuming if it is important enough for people to ring me, they will leave a message. Greedo, this explains, why I am not answering your calls, you need to leave a message.

OP
OP
G

Greedo

Speicher said:
I am giving up answering the telephone. The answer machine is on all the time now. I am assuming if it is important enough for people to ring me, they will leave a message. Greedo, this explains, why I am not answering your calls, you need to leave a message.

There was me getting paranoid as well. Oh well I'll leave a message next time.

LynnA said:
Last year I gave up alcohol and became vegetarian and put on a stone in weight - I don't know how that happened :blush:

This year I'm giving up potatoes, which for an Irish girl will be really difficult :laugh:

Lynn - so silly, and it's simple to see where you have erred.

I gave up alcohol
;):eek::eek::eek::eek::rofl::biggrin:

Potatoes - ok, as long as you don't give up chips, or vegetables in their jackets, dripping with Kerrygold (:biggrin:) and encased in cheese, melted to form... ;)

LynnA said:
Last year I gave up alcohol and became vegetarian and put on a stone in weight - I don't know how that happened ;)

you probably had less energy since giving up meat and therefore did less exercise!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Trying to decide .... I've not properly done it for years and years... but I was thinking that I need to cut down on the caffine, and snacking - do you have to give up - or are you allowed to set yourself a 1 a day limit?

Crankarm

Guru
Lent like New Year's Resolutions - doomed to failure. Mind I always say I'll give up smoking. Haven't broken this resolution.

Why can't Lent be like Ramadan then you can at least eat during the hours of darkness - am I right?

Lent - God stuff - all about control and making you feel bad or a sinner as no one can realistically keep to it. ;)

Cubist

Still wavin'
Crankarm said:
Lent like New Year's Resolutions - doomed to failure. Mind I always say I'll give up smoking. Haven't broken this resolution.

Why can't Lent be like Ramadan then you can at least eat during the hours of darkness - am I right?

Lent - God stuff - all about control and making you feel bad or a sinner as no one can realistically keep to it. ;)
No, fasting is nothing to do with guilt.

Fasting is to do with denial, yes, but it's also to do with spirituality. In all religions, the great thinkers have done their "best thinking" while fasting. We're told Christ did his in the wilderness for 40 days, which is the inspiration for Lent. Mohammed (PBUH) did much the same, hence Ramadan.

Buddha sat under a tree for a long time, and came up with some pretty startling sense (ie that the best way to stop feeling unhappy because you haven't got something is to stop wanting it....something we could all learn from I reckon!)

Nowadays however periods of fasting are linked with charitable giving. Lent suggests we give something up and increase charitable giving. Muslims give in order to feed the poor during Ramadan. Both Christians and Muslims that I know believe that by fasting you enter into a more spritual, deeper thinking state, and use the time of fasting to reflect and study.

You may not be a religious man, but if you deliberately misinterpret others' beliefs, you hardly respect the good they are doing do you?

Top Bottom