Just reserved a Boardman, have I done the right thing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rich20806

Hi All,

Well ive popped into halfords today and had them hold a bike for me. Have I done the right thing though? I can still change my mind.

I went to look at the new boardman hybrid comp at £499.99.

I've ended up buying the previous 2010 model boardman hybrid comp for £499.99.

The older model which I've had them hold til I get my c2w vouchers is black (which I prefer) and has a ritchey finishing kit (???). In my mind it looks nicer.

However I now keep thinking I've paid the same for the older model because it looks nicer and has this finishing kit (know nothing about it)

Have I made a mistake? Does the newer model offer me something extra and better than the older model?

Its not too late to change my mind and have them order me in the new model. I have until Friday to change my mind.

What would you do?
What are the differences? Are the components better on the new bike?

Many thanks

Peteaud

Veteran
Hi All,

The older model which I've had them hold til I get my c2w vouchers is black (which I prefer) and has a ritchey finishing kit (???). In my mind it looks nicer.

However I now keep thinking I've paid the same for the older model because it looks nicer and has this finishing kit (know nothing about it)

Many thanks

If it looks better and has a nicer finish then i would say its the right choice.

Looks, and feel of a bike are imho just as important as a bit of spec.

Parts can be upgraded, looks & feel can, but a lot more difficult.

Are you happy with the bike?

OP
OP
R

Rich20806

Here's the difs I can see:

Bottom Bracket:
2010 - truvativ powerspline
2011 - fsa cartridge

Cassette:
2010 - SRAM pg950
2011 - shimano Cs5700

Crank:
2010 - truvativ touro compact 50x36t
2011 - Fsa vero compact 50x34t

Front dérailleur:
2010 - shimano r440
2011 - microshift

Headset:
2010 - semi integrated cartridge bearing
2011 - fsa semi integrated

Rigid fork:
2010 - lightweight aluminium
2011 - Lightweight alloy smooth welding

Hubs
2010 - Sealed bearing
2011 - Formula disc

Rims
2010 - lightweight disc specific
2011 - Alex dp17 disc

Tyres
2010 - maxxis detonator
2011 - continental ultra race

Headset spacers
2010 - carbon
2011 - alloy

Seat posts, stem, bars
2010 - ritchey
2011 - cboardman

2010 also has ritchey barends

None of this makes much sense to me lol

IT_Dummy

I believe the paintwork especially near chain is liable to chipping.
Its always intrigue me why Raleigh put a plastic strip there ( similar thing on the Toyota Celica wheel arches- the car I use to have) Maybe Raleighs experience shines - Thats why I am buying a Raleigh

rollinstok

+1 to haggle for a discount
Halfords dont see the bike the way you do. They see it as 2 yr old stock that needs to be moved and hence should be bought for considerably less than the latest model.
If the salesman convinces you of anything different, he must be the only decent salesman at the entire Halfords chain.

gbb

Legendary Member
If it looks better and has a nicer finish then i would say its the right choice.

Looks, and feel of a bike are imho just as important as a bit of spec.

Parts can be upgraded, looks & feel can, but a lot more difficult.

Are you happy with the bike?

Absolutely !!!. When i buy a bike, looks are all important. You're hopefully going to own it for a few years, you want to like or love looking at it before you even start IME.
There's little or nothing on bikes a year apart that are going to make or break it, small aspects change, but you'll probably never feel the difference in reliability.

rollinstok

Just tell the guy you are having second thoughts because you have seen the many bargains available elsewhere for other 2010/2011 bikes.
Ask him if he can give a 25% discount to compare with a few other deals you have "seen" for 2010 bikes.
He will offer you some discount rather than lose a deal, as I said previously they need to move this old stock.
You have the upper hand here.
If he is stubborn and wont budge, try for a £100 worth of accessories thrown in, if still no joy, you havent lost anything by trying.
If he gives you 25% discount my fees for this professional advice are £50 ha ha !!
Good luck and I am pretty certain you will get a bargain if you are polite but resolute in your negotiation.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I believe the paintwork especially near chain is liable to chipping.
Its always intrigue me why Raleigh put a plastic strip there ( similar thing on the Toyota Celica wheel arches- the car I use to have) Maybe Raleighs experience shines - Thats why I am buying a Raleigh

Eh, all bikes chip paint there, hence fitting a chain guard strip, or a bit of clear tape or even electrical tape. Hmm bike choice over a bit of cheap electrical tape ?

You may struggle getting a discount depending on how well educated in the C2W scheme your shop is, technically they should charge full RRP (as they are) and not a sale price BUT if they aren't very knowledgeable in the scheme you may get lucky.

Can you spare the time to goto some other Halfords shops in your area? Have a look at the instore 'sale' ranges which obvious varies from to store to store and see if your bike is one of them, if it is and it is cheaper then ask to reserve it for C2W and cancel the other one.

BTW Does you buying from Halfords also entitle you to free accessories equivalent to 15% of the voucher (mine did, if I used them)

Top Bottom