Just returning to cycling - part the second

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crow_se

Hello all
Well, its been 6 weeks now since I bought my bike. Getting through the pain barrier ok. Haven't been able to get out on it every day, only maybe average 1 day in 3, cos of weather (would you believe I dont want to get it wet or dirty ? rather sad case) or idleness or too busy, but am up to 7 mile runs in about 40 minutes. Take it easy, stop and admire the view if I want to but am reasonably pleased with progress after 30 years of no exercise at all. Changed the saddle for a softer one, fitted full length mudguards, pump and rack - looks more of a complete cycle now, yes I know I have an old fashioned view of what a cycle should look like. Will be fitting the panniers any day now that I can actually ride far enough to get to shops !

Once the warm weather comes, there'll be no stopping you. Just enjoy yourself and get out as much as possible. :rolleyes:

Mortiroloboy

crow se, I know it down that way, outlaws er, in-laws have a holiday home at Brean, there are some lovely rides down there, plus stage three of the ToB ends in Burnham this year, that'll be something to aim for cycle from W-s-M to B-o-S to watch the riders come in.

The old fashioned view (full length mudguards, a rack etc) makes a lot of sense, especially if you're going to use it in all weathers. Make sure your panniers have a waterproof cover!

Fiona N

Veteran
crow_se said:
Hello all
Well, its been 6 weeks now since I bought my bike. Getting through the pain barrier ok. Haven't been able to get out on it every day, only maybe average 1 day in 3, cos of weather (would you believe I dont want to get it wet or dirty ? rather sad case)

Oh I believe you - I'm just the same. The recumbents (which are harder to clean than a mtb) pretty much live all winter in the garage as I only expose the mtb to the rain, salt and dirt and even then, I tend not to ride unless I have to if the roads are wet - which reduces your options here in the Lake District :blush:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It will get wet and dirty, but mudguards are essential if you are going to use the bike daily - keeps the bike cleaner, protects headsets etc, and keeps you a little dryer - a wet bot isn't nice !!

Keep it up !

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
fossyant said:
It will get wet and dirty, but mudguards are essential if you are going to use the bike daily - keeps the bike cleaner, protects headsets etc, and keeps you a little dryer - a wet bot isn't nice !!

The dirt isn't so bad in any case - after a wet week, just give yourself 30mins or so over the weekend to clean it up again...

Rims etc can be kept clean in the week by wiping with babywipes, if felt necessary.

OP
OP
C

crow_se

I remember getting a wet bum from my earlier cycling days. Even the full length mudguards didnt help a lot, so how on earth one can keep even slightly dry with these very short mudguards that I see about heaven only knows. Is it even possible to keep a bit dry with these ? One thing I was surprised about was that it now seems to be difficult to get a saddlebag, or indeed a saddle which will allow fitting one. I was chatting about this in my LBS and their suggestion was a wicker basket at the front. I said that I thought that that was for old women (I of course stand to be corrected and/or shot down in flames), greeted with laughter. I then bought the rack and panniers, which again in my earlier cycling days were not used by anyone who wanted to keep even a bit of street cred (yes there was some street cred in a bike, depending on which make and what accessories, the dream was a Claude Butler), or perhaps this was only where I grew up.

I forgot we used to all have a pump nicely clipped to the frame in days gone by! - Get a compact pump and carry it with you as the one left on you bike will probably vanish. But then they all may be nice people in Weston!
Keep at it mate. You will be surprised how it will all start coming together soon. This time last year I was gasping for breath after 7 miles and with bum ache. 2 months and I was up to 56 miles London to Brighton and going for 100 this year.
As it creeps along sometime without noticing, keep a diary of date, distace time, where and how you felt at the end. You can see progress better.
You will see a lot of anti gel saddle talk here but I think they are essential when you are new. You may not need them in time as you get fitter and are on the pedals more.
Enjoy it!

OP
OP
C

crow_se

Bought a compact pump clipped to frame. Take pump out of clips and carry it with me. Dont need diary to tell me how I feel at end of run, kn*ckered :-(
10 miles total today to go shopping, coming back 6 bottles fizzy water, litre OJ, bread, cakes etc in panniers. Rather tail heavy, had to be careful didnt pop wheelies all the way home. Motorists seem very considerate down here, all give cyclists a wide berth, nearly all slow right down. This is on road, there are a large number of cycle lanes on pavements, so dont mix all that much with traffic.

Sounds good if you have a decent cycle lane, most are a pain at best and a danger at worst.
I see where you are coming from on the cycling log. Put a record of how knacked you feel then (out of 10 say) and you will see it go down in time.
Most negative things in cycling can be overcome or at least reduced to being OK.
Last tip is to commit to a ride and to tell someone you will do it. Then you will have to get out and ride or make an excuse why you did not go.

chopstick

Whatever your type of cycling join a group of like minded people regardless of age and styles and enjoy the camaraderie of cycling and the great craic.
Chopstick.

Top Bottom