Keen cycle thieves near waterloo London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scouserinlondon

I work on Lower Marsh, and this morning one of the sheffield stands outside of our office had the four anchor bolts sheered off, so some poor sod has lost their bike over the weekend.

It's a really busy central street amazing they got away with it.

chthonic

Über Member
Sheffield stand with anchor bolts? That's not a sheffield stand, is it? Sheffield stands go straight down into concrete, don't they? Hmm, best to check next time I lock up that all is as it seems.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
scouser- having had a bike stolen on very busy london streets twice = I'm not surprised. Bike theft down here is a proper 'business' with very organsied crime syndicates...they're tooled up professionals.

OP
OP
S

scouserinlondon

I think that in London, if you wear high viz you can do whatever you want, just imagine the blokes dressed like workmen and merrily made as much noise as they needed too.

Most of the sheffield stands round here appear to be bolted.

Jezston

Über Member
Who buys stolen bikes anyway? Or if they are that well organised I guess they are probably going abroad...

Soltydog

Legendary Member
andrew-the-tortoise said:
Yes, some are raw-bolted down - the ones we use at work are.

Ours at work aren't fastened at all to the floor :?: although they are in a locked room :biggrin:

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Jezston said:
Who buys stolen bikes anyway? Or if they are that well organised I guess they are probably going abroad...

you'd be surprised...bikes turn up on Brick lane in London, gumtree and ebay - easily shifted. Turns out many people want a bargain- don't seem to care if the bike's stolen or not.

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
We have a very regular thief who has a different bike for sale every day chained up outside one of my stations. The police know who he is but they said unless they actually catch him in the act of stealing the bikes or they have the original bike owner making a report of the theft they said they can't do much.

thomas

the tank engine
yorkshiregoth said:
We have a very regular thief who has a different bike for sale every day chained up outside one of my stations. The police know who he is but they said unless they actually catch him in the act of stealing the bikes or they have the original bike owner making a report of the theft they said they can't do much.

He could probably argue he bought it off someone...just like if any of us bought a stolen bike, we wouldn't be in trouble for that (if we weren't aware).

Top Bottom