Keeping clothes smart

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
HI,

I am planning to start cycling to work. Its 4 miles and I checked it out last night.
My main concern is how to go about getting my work clothes to work. We have to look smart at work, shirt, tie suit etc. My plan is to cycling in sports clothes and get changed when get their probably in the toilets.
What I'm not sure about is how to get the work cloths their without getting messed up. I also assume to take a small towel to dry down and help sort out the hair after wearing a bike helmet.
Any practical tips to help out much appreciated.
JD.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 1786072, member: 45"]I've used one of these for years. It's excellent, and will fit a week's wrinkle-free worth of clothing in.

When I wore a suit I left the jacket(s) at work. And I always leave a pair of shoes and a belt at work.[/quote]
User, how are you then carrying that when full?

For four miles you don't really need to cycle in sports clothing. Just cycle more slowly in your normal clothes so you don't get sweaty and the extra cycling time will be less than the time it takes you to get changed. If you wear a suit you might want to wear different trousers for cycling as suits can wear through at the top inside of the legs from the saddle. If you do want to carry your clothes and change though the secret is to roll not fold your clothes.

MisterStan

Label Required
[QUOTE 1786072, member: 45"]

When I wore a suit I left the jacket(s) at work. And I always leave a pair of shoes and a belt at work.[/quote]

+1

If you take all the clothes in on a Monday, then you have a lighter ride the rest of the week too!

400bhp

Guru
[QUOTE 1786072, member: 45"]I've used one of these for years. It's excellent, and will fit a week's wrinkle-free worth of clothing in.

I have the same, albeit the smaller one - also leave shoes/trousers etc at work. Duds and socks go in back jersey pocket

400bhp

Guru
[QUOTE 1786097, member: 45"]It fits into my Vaude rucksack. At the moment though I'm preferring my cavernous Crumpler messenger bag.[/quote]

Fits snugly into my deuter rucksack.
For four miles you don't really need to cycle in sports clothing. Just cycle more slowly in your normal clothes so you don't get sweaty and the extra cycling time will be less than the time it takes you to get changed. If you wear a suit you might want to wear different trousers for cycling as suits can wear through at the top inside of the legs from the saddle. If you do want to carry your clothes and change though the secret is to roll not fold your clothes.

The issue is when the weather is crap. Although mudguards etc are help they are not perfect.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Leave jacket, trousers, tie and shoes at work, and either take in full set of shirts one day, or, as I do, just bring in a fresh shirt and undies every day. Fold neatly and roll into pannier/rucksack. Getting cleaned up, consider a microfibre towel you can leave to dry, or many of us go along the baby wipe route - they work brlliant. Have a stock in the offcie, but carry enough with you for a quick wipe down in the loo. If you can, disables loos are quite good, mainly for space. Our cubicles are tiny, and dirty, so I tend to go for the disabled loo - just make a note that you don't inconvenience someone. I did once, and it was a member of staff who had mobility problems - she actually only wanted to wash her cup, and the normal toilet is next door - she didn't half make a fuss for a minutes delay. That said, I've not had any other problems.

Michaelt

As above, I drive in on the Monday and leave four shirts hanging up, I'm fortunate to have a large loft space, new steel frame office, to get changed in, hang my stuff up. Then at the end of Monday I get changed into shorts and t shirt leaving my trousers shoes etc at work. Works great, although next week i shall be getting myself some baby wipes.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I leave shoes, towel and toiletries at work and carry a shirt, trousers etc in a backpack each day.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Shoes, toiletries, and belt stay in office, trousers, towel (we have showers and I like giving it some beans of a morning, and sweat like a dray horse) and shirts, pants, socks, panniered in on a Monday and panniered home on a Friday for washing. Bike runs naked Tues- Thurs.

What is weird at the moment is carrying a little extra cycling gear. Ruddy cold in the morning but too hot for long sleeves of an evening.

8mile

I keep shoes and toiletries at work. I usually find shirts and trousers survive the journey looking uncrumpled if I roll them tightly. I lay trousers flat, shirt on top and roll from the waistband down along the trouser and sleeve creases

jonny jeez

Legendary Member

Sounds good... but in practice it only takes one wet...or even misty day to upset that and you arrive damp as a dishcloth.

How smart is smart?

I have exactly the same issue. I need to look more than smart, I need to look pristine as my role is very client facing. However I am fortunate in that I have a shower, with plenty of storage/hanging for suits and shirts. I keep tons of ties, cufflinks, aftershave, razors and boxers in the office as well so I'm never stuck short for fresh, pristine clothes.

Suits all get dry cleaned by the cleaners along the road, socks and boxers all come with me in my bum bag/rucksac (spares as a back up).

But, the key for me is that I can carry a week or so worth of shirts on the motorbike (folded neatly in a large top box), so I tend to do at least one commute a week on that. Also when at my desk, I wear jeans and a polo shirt so the suits and shirts i do have are never heavily worn.

Schneil

Veteran
I'm lucky I don't need to wear a suit, but I need to look smart - shirt, shoes, trousers.
So Monday I bring a fresh towel (we have showers), trousers, shirt, undies.
All the other days shirts and undies.
Then friday take what I brought in on Monday home.
Keep a se of shoes and a belt at work.

To stop your trousers creasing, lay them flat along the crease and roll up like a swiss roll.
For shirts I do up the buttons and fold neatly. My shirts aren't creased.

Flyingfox

I'm lucky enough to have a shower a work, so being a girl keep toiletries,makeup, towel, shoes and hairdryer in my cupboard.
I fold my clothes properly and slip into a large plastic bag before placing in my back pack, this way the clothes stay neatly folded whilst being carried and any creases drop out within an hour of wearing.