Keeping your bike seat dry--please help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

halesya

I'm a student at the University of Coloardo, and I am working with a group to develop a product to keep your bike seat dry. I need feedback from people that are knowledgable about bikes! Our two proposed ideas are:
1. bike seat that opens through a locking hinge to reveal a small compartment with absorbent towel. The entire seat would be the compartment but it would be shallow so as not to add significant height to the seat. This compartment could also be used to store other things rather than just a towel.
2. under seat attachment that can be tucked away under the seat or pulled out to cover the seat and is water resistant. Much like the bike fanny packs, the storage compartment would be attached to the underside of the seat on the bar. The cover wold not be removed from the pack but pulled out and around the seat to protect it.

ANY thoughts, criticism, suggestions, etc are more than welcome! I hope to hear back from some of you! Thanks

Davidc

Guru
Shower cap. Found in all good hotel rooms. Perfect for the job. Throw in the bin after use. Keep in the tool wallet or 5 can be tucked under a Brooks B17 seat above the rails.

If you need more than you can collect from hotels they're £1.00 per 50 online, individually boxed

I'm afraid the totally perfect product already exists and is very cheap and easily available.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Plastic supermarket bag, cheap, folds up tiny and can carry under the seat by tucking in the seat rails.
No need for anything else.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Also, specific saddle covers have been made anyway - Brooks (who make leather saddles), do one for theirs, that velcros to the saddle rails for storage. And at the last York Cycling festival, I picked up a couple of Cycling City branded covers, which incidentally could be worn as hats. Depending on which way round you wore it, you looked like Norman Wisdom, or Nelson (neither of whom our OP will of heard of, I suspect. ;))

zigzag

Veteran
plastic oveshoes can be used to cover the saddle, they are perfectly sized, have a rubber band and foldup tiny. i carry one in a little plastic puncture repair box - it fills up the space and prevents other stuff from rattling.

Shower cap. Found in all good hotel rooms. Perfect for the job. Throw in the bin after use. Keep in the tool wallet or 5 can be tucked under a Brooks B17 seat above the rails.

If you need more than you can collect from hotels they're £1.00 per 50 online, individually boxed

I'm afraid the totally perfect product already exists and is very cheap and easily available.

..and for that reason, I'm out.
thumbsup.png

How about a dynamo-powered 12v hairdryer mounted to a bracket to blow-dry and warm up your saddle, yust stand up for the first couple of miles than sit on a nice warm seat.

What do you mean overengineered?

More seriously, I'd take a look at packaway jackets, one solution might be a simple elasticated hem saddle cover in a packaway bag that just velcro fixes to the seatpost/saddle rails

What you DON'T want to do is mean the end user has to choose between either/or a saddle cover or a small under-saddle toolkit etc..

snorri

Legendary Member
1. bike seat that opens through a locking hinge to reveal
2. under seat attachment that can be tucked away under the seat or pulled out to cover the seat and is water resistant. Much like the bike fanny packs, .

ANY thoughts, criticism, suggestions, etc are more than welcome! I hope to hear back from some of you! Thanks

Ok, constructive criticism.
option 1 "Bike seat opens through a locking hinge". As soon as I read about the introduction of moving parts to a component (seat) which operates effectively without moving parts, I worry. Moving parts are a fault liability.

option 2 "bike fanny packs" :?: :ohmy: :?: :ohmy: :?: :ohmy: Some Americanisms don't travel too well, by the time they've reached this side of the Atlantic they can sound quite rude.:rolleyes:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Mirror covers that come with all new Porsche Cayenne's when they are delivered to my workplace ! Perfect size and water resistant with velcro strap....those German's think of everything !!!!

I use a 70 liter rucksack cover to keep me seat dry.
It work ok unless the rain blows in under it.
Then I get a wet bum ......... :sad:

Ps:- I ride a bent .......... :biggrin:

Davidc

Guru
Don't think so Mr Paul. A Brooks saddle that's been properly kept, or is one of those that's factory treated, will put up with anything (except mice). The only reason for covering a Brooks saddle is to avoid a wet bum.

Davidc

Guru
[QUOTE 1226846"]
Brooks saddles begin to melt at the mere sight of fluid in the distance. They've also been known to collapse at the slightest parp of vegetarian flatulate.

Brooks saddles are rubbish. I've never needed to properly keep any of my saddles and they've not let me down.
[/quote]

Funny - I've been using them since 1967 and the only problems I've had are theft and being chewed up by a mouse. They're the most durable bike component there is, and the only seat that's comfortable for use 14 hours a day for 16 days on the trot, straight out of the box. (That was the replacement for the chewed one).

In my experiene Brooks saddles are totally oblivious to rain from above and spray from below. Not sure about vegetarian flatulence, I can only vouch for resistance to the carnivorous type.

Top Bottom