Keeping Your Cool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adasta

I saw a woman RLJ today at a somewhat complicated junction (nr. Elephant & Castle, approaching the roundabout).

I caught up with her at the next red and told her that it's dangerous to do that and accidents can be caused by RLJing. The thing is, I feel like I may be seen as aggressive whereas I'm actually just...emotional. I am annoyed when I see these things happen, but I'm also generally concerned, worried that the cyclist will keep doing and fretful that it will annoy the traffic (which is waiting behind me at the lights...).

I don't think I was out of order to say something but I can appreciate that a 6ft, 13st guy wearing shades may appear intimidating even when I'm trying not to be.

Any words of advice? Is it simply not worth saying anything at all?

Davidc

Guru
Generally not worth the bother, but if I say anything it's usually along the lines of, "Ever been hit by a car?" - response "no" - "it hurts".

Gets the message across without much risk of being interpreted as aggressive.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I saw a woman RLJ today at a somewhat complicated junction (nr. Elephant & Castle, approaching the roundabout).

I caught up with her at the next red and told her that it's dangerous to do that and accidents can be caused by RLJing. The thing is, I feel like I may be seen as aggressive whereas I'm actually just...emotional. I am annoyed when I see these things happen, but I'm also generally concerned, worried that the cyclist will keep doing and fretful that it will annoy the traffic (which is waiting behind me at the lights...).

I don't think I was out of order to say something but I can appreciate that a 6ft, 13st guy wearing shades may appear intimidating even when I'm trying not to be.

I find that's the best way. Many inexperienced cyclists get ticked off if you try and give advice.

I once caught up to a guy who was pedalling at 20 rpm and making it look damn difficult. I suggested that he lower his gears and spin a little. He told me 'he knew what he was doing and that I should f8ck off'.

Caught up to another guy whose rear light was facing the sky. I told him he might want to lower the angle so that it points to drivers' line of sight. His response: 'Not had any complaints from anyone else. You focus on your ride and I'll focus on mine'.

So now, I simply catch up to them and blast past with a cheery hello.

Tasker

I think you absolutely did the right thing. But get the bit about perhaps it might have seemed a bit intimidating with the dark glasses bit.

Please do continue to offer a helping hand to others - men or women but it might help if when you next do it to remember to raise your glasses - concerned smiles need your eyes to do it and females in particular attach such importance to seeing your eyes when you're offering sincere advice.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I find that's the best way. Many inexperienced cyclists get ticked off if you try and give advice.

I once caught up to a guy who was pedalling at 20 rpm and making it look damn difficult. I suggested that he lower his gears and spin a little. He told me 'he knew what he was doing and that I should f8ck off'.

Caught up to another guy whose rear light was facing the sky. I told him he might want to lower the angle so that it points to drivers' line of sight. His response: 'Not had any complaints from anyone else. You focus on your ride and I'll focus on mine'.

So now, I simply catch up to them and blast past with a cheery hello.

The negative reactions aren't that surprising, but also aren't a good reason for not making a comment. They will often still learn despite their defensiveness.

Top Bottom