Keswick Sportive today (21-May-11)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul_L

Über Member
Did anyone else do the Keswick sportive today? 105km 6 pass route from Keswick taking in Whinlatter pass (from Braithwaite), Newlands Pass (from Buttermere), Honister Pass (from Seatoller), Whinlatter (from Lorton), Newlands (from Braithwaite) and finally Honister again from Buttermere.

This was a bit of a step up for me in terms of climbing. I've riden the distance quite a bit before but never taking on hills like these.

Whinlatter first time was fine, nothing too serious but a good start. Newlands was the first 25% climb but that wasn't so bad, but we had a bit of a tail wind). The descent of Newlands first time round gave us an idea of how hard it would be coming back up the other side with the first part of the descent being very steep before a long gentle drop. Maybe it's because i can't really remember too much about it after the carnage later on to come, but the first climb of Honister Pass from Seatoller wasn't too bad (i'm sure it was really) with all the steep stuff towards the bottom.

Whinlatter second time round was my favourite climb. Long but steady. By now though the weather was closing in, dark clouds gathering and wind picking up. The second climb of Newlands was mental. Winds all other the place, struggling to keep hold of the bike, moving all over the road. The steepest part was at the summit. That bit where the winds are strongest! How i got up the final section without either been blown off or just getting off and walking i don't know, but there we were 5 out of 6 climbs done. Just the hardest ascent of Honister to come.

The drop off Newlands second time round, was scary. Fast descent and awful winds. Only a small amount of shelter at the bottom before the start of the climb out of Buttermere up Honister. By now the winds were not just a pain in the arse, they were scary and dangerous. At one point i was on the flat, stood up on the pedals on the bottom ring doing 5.9mph. As soon as it went uphill, even on the gentle bits it was almost impossible to ride. I was blown off the bike by a gust of wind. Walked a bit. Remounted when it was a bit of shelter. 20m later, blown right across the road in front of a car coming down the other way, and onto the grass. Lot's of swearing, bugger this for a game of buscuits and this time i just walk the bugger to the top. And i was not alone. It was more like a hike! In fairness i'd probably have struggled on the 30% sections at the top even without the wind.

And that was pretty much that. 8 miles from the top of Honister downhill and then all flat to the finish and i was happy with my ride. Total time of 6h25 but that including a lot of time lost through regrouping at the tops and drinks stops. I think my ride time was something like 5h40.

Great event, well organised. Lots of food and drink on the route. Well signed and chip timed.

I'll be back next year, but can we have no winds please!

ShinSplint

Hi Paul,

Well done! I know the difficulty of this, I did this yesterday for the first time.

I've done a few sportives, tough ones, but this was the hardest ! I'm doing a report on another forum tomorrow, i'll post it up here too :smile:

tothy

Hi Paul L
I also rode the Keswick sportive on that day and enjoyed reading your account of your ride.

I also set of with some trepidation of the amount of climbing to be tackled, even having ridden all the passes i have never ridden them all back to back.

So of i set determined to pace myself despite being passed by groups of club riders making me look as if i was going backwards(not that i could have kept up anyway).

A nice ride was being had meeting up with my partner in the car at various points for drink, food and encouragement and i thought all was going well despite the hard work of the climbing(Honnister is never a walk in the park)but then Newlands for the second time.

The wind had now decided to turn into a howling gale and turned this climb into a monumental effort and even the gentler slopes were covered at a snails pace,

the top section was zig zag:d up with great caution and even more pain, but eventualy crested with a huge sigh of relief.

The wind was that strong the misses would not get out the car at the top where she was waiting for me, and i did not dare let go of the bike to replenish supplies from the boot for fear of it arriving back at Keswick without me

A terrifying decent followed and the fear of Honnister in this wind was firmly planted in my mind.

I was right to be fearful this was the worst climb i have atempted on my bike.The wind was horrendous and forward motion for me was almost impossible,but on i went up and up untill about 500 mtr from the top forward motion did become impossible, and i was forced to hike to the summit.

A little dissapointed with having to push this bit but i had given it my all and you can do no more than that.

A huge chapeau to the riders who did cycle this bit,I saw two only, in particular to the lady rider who got completely blown of her bike right in front of me then remounted and forced her way to the top non stop BRAVO.

A very steady decent into Borrowdale and a nice ride back to the finish at keswick followed.

Phew success, finished in 6 hr 9 mins not bad for me considering all the stopping and starting, and a great feeling of achievement to go along with the aching legs and sore backside.Will i be back next year? you bet!.

I must admit to having a great days ride despite the weather(hey thats what makes you feel alive) and would like to thank the organizers for a very well ran event and giving me a day to remember.
A huge bravo to you Paul and the other 159 finishers.
biggrin.gif

Not hoping to steal his "Thunder", but one of our Riders, "Shinsplint", who posted earlier, did this ride and wrote up a most excellent report and posted it here:

http://www.mtbe.co.uk/keswick-sportive-2011-t14107.html

Please take the time to have a read through it, not only did he put a lot of effort into the ride, but he also made a great effort in the write up, plus there's a great picture of him on one of the climbs.

Thanks for your time.

nickwill

Thanks Gunner, the more the merrier!
It's the first time I've been on this site for a very long time. It really has the atmosphere of the old Cycling Plus site. I will be coming here much more often. Bike Radar can be a rather abrasive place these days. As I recollect you were one of the real stalwarts in the old C+ days!

nickwill

I'm glad you spotted it. It should say 65 miles.
icon_redface.gif
The organisers claim 105 km but it's slightly over!
Now corrected! I think I need an editor!

Top Bottom