Keygos KE1 - Budget front light/torch (XML-T6)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HovR

Über Member
Intro and Pictures

I ordered the Keygos from this eBay listing, from Hong Kong, for £20 - Arrived in just over two weeks. The light has 5 modes (grrr) High, medium, low, strobe and SOS. The build quality seems pretty good, and I haven't experienced any mode changing like people do with other torches.

The threads came with no grease, so a quick greasing and a bit of charge and it was ready to go.

KE1%20Photo.JPG

First thing I noticed was that it is smaller than I thought it would be - Hence I put the coin in the photo above to give an idea of scale. Then I turned it on.. It's bright! Really bright. I'd be fully comfortable on fast descents with this light.

Here's my previous light, just for reference when you see the beam photos. It's the cheap 5 (or sometimes 3) watt torch you can find on Deal Extreme, eBay, etc. It was fine for lit street riding, and would provide some light on unlit roads - but not enough.

5Watt%20Photo.JPG

Beam Photos/Comparison

Now for some comparative photos! Note all photos (unless otherwise stated) were taken with the following settings: ISO 400, Exposure 3/4 second, F-stop f/2.8. Take pictures with a pinch of salt - They are not wildly out, but not true exact representations of the real brightness.

First, my previous light for comparison. The photo doesn't do it particular justice, but it isn't great. The spot is about 2 meters in front of the bike in this photo.

5Watt%20High.JPG

Now for the Keygos Beam shots (Below). First, low mode. Note that the light is angled further up than the light in the photo above, so the spot is actually 2 or 3 meters further away.

It's brighter than the 5 watt, but less focused - So well suited for lit streets so as not to dazzle, or for saving battery in a "To be seen" mode.

Low.JPG

Next, medium. Suddenly a lot brighter! Easily enough for unlit roads. This will likely be the mode I will use on dark roads, so as to save a bit of battery.

Medium.JPG

Finally, high beam. Under my usage, this will be reserved for fast descents or particularly bad stretches of road.

High.JPG

Battery Life:

Possibly the only downside I have found so far. I have been getting between 45 minutes and 1 hour out of the single 18650 batteries on continuous high beam, so I carry two batteries - Although extension tubes are available on eBay to allow you to fit two batteries into the torch to extend battery life without having to change batteries.

At around 3.65v (roughly 45 minutes/1 hour of burn time on high) the circuitry will make the torch default to medium mode, no matter what mode you put it in - Slightly annoying that you can't choose to use full until the battery runs out. The protection circuit inside the battery should cut the power at 2.75v.

Conclusion:

Really bright for the price. If you are after a light to see by, and you are on a budget (and don't mind changing batteries on longer rides) I recommend it. The seller was fairly good as well - Also recommended - Just don't expect fast delivery from Hong Kong.

Thanks to MattHB for recommending this light.

Attachments

• KE1%20Photo.JPG
    KE1%20Photo.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 5Watt%20Photo.JPG
    5Watt%20Photo.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 5Watt%20High.JPG
    5Watt%20High.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Low.JPG
    Low.JPG
    9.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Medium.JPG
    Medium.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 43
  • High.JPG
    High.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 47

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Great review - thanks for posting this. If I could get my camera to behave & sat it on a tripod I think my light's performance is comparable. I just change batteries, as my ride is only more than 45 mins if I need to walk home !

Just ordered one of these on the back of this review.

fingers crossed then.

Cheers for taking the time to review it in detail

anyone know if the standard tube extension works with these?

OP
OP
HovR

HovR

Über Member
Just ordered one of these on the back of this review.

fingers crossed then.

Cheers for taking the time to review it in detail

anyone know if the standard tube extension works with these?

Glad I could help. I have a strong feeling that all 18650 extension tubes are fairly universal, although I am not sure whether that is true. MattHB has one, so I've asked him which one he purchased - Just waiting for a reply. :smile:

kalaika

Perpetually riding in a headwind
Conclusion:

Really bright for the price. If you are after a light to see by, and you are on a budget (and don't mind changing batteries on longer rides) I recommend it. The seller was fairly good as well - Also recommended - Just don't expect fast delivery from Hong Kong.

Thanks to MattHB for recommending this light.

I bought one of these a few weeks back as well, and have much the same views as you about it. I generally use medium for unlit roads and low for lit roads as that works well for me. Generally very impressed, great price, appears to be well make, good delivery (I used the same seller - delivery was about 10 days for me), and chuffing bright. :eek:
The battery time doesn't worry me as my commute is less than an hour anyway but it's good that seller gives two batteries with it so there is a spare in any case.

Just to add to your review, you mention it has a strobe and SOS setting as well, but I'd say neither are useful when on the bike. The strobe setting is too bright and flashes too fast and the SOS literally traces out dot-dot-dot-dash-dash-dash-dot-dot-dot. I'm not sure when I would need that on a bike. A slower, constant flash could have been more useful, but it's not the end of the world that it doesn't have it.

recieved mine after 10 working days so no complaints with delivery.

the torch itself seems well made and sturdy. i think i may be using elastic bands to hold the torch to the mount just in case, as the mount doesnt seem the tightest of holds.

the torch is quite big - i know the original post shows it with a 2 pence piece but its not a big deal.

it is very bright on high, which will be usefull through very dark wooded areas or on fast decents.

Its enough for unlit roads on medium and i like the option of flashing too.

the charger seems solid enough.

i think i may be buying some more batteries and/or and extension tube for any night rides but overall very pleased with it so thanks for reviewing in the first place.

OP
OP
HovR

HovR

Über Member
No problem, glad I could help you make a decision!

D

Deleted member 20519

Very bright light on medium mode and even brighter on high! This review was posted a few months ago, how's your light holding up?

OP
OP
HovR

HovR

Über Member
Very bright light on medium mode and even brighter on high! This review was posted a few months ago, how's your light holding up?

Perfect. It served me well last winter, has been used heavily as a torch over the summer, and with the dark nights approaching will be going back to bike light duty fairly soon.

Everyone I've shown the light to has been amazed with the brightness, and a few non-cycling family members have even bought their own.

D

Deleted member 20519

Perfect. It served me well last winter, has been used heavily as a torch over the summer, and with the dark nights approaching will be going back to bike light duty fairly soon.

Everyone I've shown the light to has been amazed with the brightness, and a few non-cycling family members have even bought their own.

Like you said, with the nights and mornings getting darker, it sounds like it will be a good light for commuting/night use in Winter. Any idea how long the battery lasts on Medium mode?

OP
OP
HovR

HovR

Über Member
Like you said, with the nights and mornings getting darker, it sounds like it will be a good light for commuting/night use in Winter. Any idea how long the battery lasts on Medium mode?

Unfortunately, no. I've never timed it. I'd imagine that you'd easily get an hour, and with the seller supplying two batteries that's plenty of battery life for most rides.

The low mode is actually brighter than it appears in the pictures, and will chuck out enough usable light to see by if there aren't other cars blinding you. Also ideal for use in long group rides such as FNRttC.

D

Deleted member 20519

Unfortunately, no. I've never timed it. I'd imagine that you'd easily get an hour, and with the seller supplying two batteries that's plenty of battery life for most rides.

The low mode is actually brighter than it appears in the pictures, and will chuck out enough usable light to see by if there aren't other cars blinding you. Also ideal for use in long group rides such as FNRttC.

Thanks for the help, I will be ordering one of these lights next week to be ready for the winter. Do you have any recommendations on rear lights?

OP
OP
HovR

HovR

Über Member
Thanks for the help, I will be ordering one of these lights next week to be ready for the winter. Do you have any recommendations on rear lights?

My personal favorite at the moment is the Blackburn Mars 4.0, which is extremely bright, and has survived many torrential downpours - Never let me down yet. Others recommend the 1/2 and 1 watt Smart lights, and RSP Astrums also seem popular.

Top Bottom