Killed cyclist 'not wearing helmet'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

According to Plod:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7663252.stm

Isn't clear whether a helmet would have saved him, of course. It concerns me that the intention of releasing this information and reporting it in such a way is to imply that one should wear a helmet, yet it is clearly too soon after the event to publically discuss whether or not the specific injuries causing death would have been prevented.

Tragic event.

Funtboy

Cab said:
According to Plod:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7663252.stm

Isn't clear whether a helmet would have saved him, of course. It concerns me that the intention of releasing this information and reporting it in such a way is to imply that one should wear a helmet, yet it is clearly too soon after the event to publically discuss whether or not the specific injuries causing death would have been prevented.

Tragic event.

You've got to presume it would have helped to wear a helmet. He died from head injuries!

bryce

Terrible news but I don't get this argument. Of course it is safer to wear a helmet (and full body armour if one wants). The Police would be irresponsible not to mention it, especially as this poor individual died from head injuries.

Both times I've had crashes (twice in last 3 years) a helmet has been invaluable. It's like having very cheap head insurance.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Fabio Casartelli died of head injuries, no helmet would have saved his life except for a motorbike helmet....

Funtboy said:
You've got to presume it would have helped to wear a helmet. He died from head injuries!

Well can you in this instance. What speeds do you think a helmet will protect you at?

The commonly held view is that at impacts over 12mph a helmet has a reducing value, I don't think they are really designed to save you from vehicle collisions except at low speed.

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

Funtboy said:

And the evidence that the helmet would have prevented these injuries..?

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

bryce said:
Terrible news but I don't get this argument. Of course it is safer to wear a helmet (and full body armour if one wants). The Police would be irresponsible not to mention it, especially as this poor individual died from head injuries.

Both times I've had crashes (twice in last 3 years) a helmet has been invaluable. It's like having very cheap head insurance.

We don't know whether the helmet here would have saved the guys life. To take the incident and make an argument without that is meaningless; if it turns out that his life would have been saved then thats one thing, if it turns out that it would not then its another, this becomes a reprehensible publicity stunt.

The facts surrounding helmets and the contribition they play in safety are rather muddled, at best. I don't like seeing someones death being used in this way without a more solid argument. It is simply distasteful.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't forget, in these days of litigation, any way of apportioning blame to a 'third party' will be taken. To be honest - the police are stating a fact, the guy wasn't wearing a helmet. One could say the same if there was a car crash and the occupants weren't wearing seat belts....

You are better off wearing one, as some legal leech will suck a significant amount of compensation out of a claim that may well be necessary to support your family following your demise....

MartinC

Über Member
fossyant said:
You are better off wearing one, as some legal leech will suck a significant amount of compensation out of a claim that may well be necessary to support your family following your demise....

Please can you quote a reference to a case in the UK where somebody has had their settlement reduced by the court because the injured party wasn't wearing a helmet. I ask because, as far as I'm aware, this has been tried occasionally but has never succeeded.

gratts

This thread seems a bit of a non starter to me..
Someone died. They weren't wearing a helmet. It's a fact.
That's exactly what the article says.

People are just inferring what they want from it.

Top Bottom