Kilmarnock to Glasgow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

killiekosmos

Veteran
CoG I don't do it as a commute but I've done the trip a few times as I live in Killie and visit friends in West End of Glasgow. I also use the moors as a good weekend route.

From Kilmarnock Railway Station you can get to the Western Road which has a cycle lane all the way out of Killie on the Glasgow Road. Go through Fenwick village and then under M77 to join old A77 road which has a super cycle lane made up on inside lane of old road but kerbed off from road. I'd not be worried about the trip over the moors (only about 8 miles from Fenwick to Mewton Mearns and there is always a few cars on the road).

At Newton Mearns there is a cycle lane all way to Eastwood Toll. Cycle route wants you to head off left to Thrornliebank but you can to straight on to where Tinto Firs Hotel used to be, turn left to round toll and either through Pollok Park or straight on towards St Andrews Drive, Nithsdale Road and Gower Street, over M8 and onto cycle route near Castle Grayskull which takes you over the Clyde.

Might be worthwhile doing it one way for a while to try it out. Coming back is gently up hill all way out of Glasgow until about Floak so a bit sore on the legs as it is also usyually into the wind.

You can PM me if you want more details

allthegear

I go from the city centre to Irvine about 3 times a week, but will be changing my journey in the near future so am not a potential partner.

I head for Newton Mearns on the A77 then cut across to the B769 and head for Stewarton.

I hardly see any other cyclists at the moment, but with the lighter nights I'm sure there will be a few more. The hills have certainly benefited my fitness.

The profile of my journey means it's uphill for half the journey and downhill for the rest (which ever direction). I've not had problems with headwinds, though I did get borderline hypothermic this winter on a couple of trips as it is a bit exposed.

It's a nice route. Wind can be a bit brutal but prevailing wind would be behind her on the way in.

She could always look to drop the bike at Patterton, Whitecraigs or Clarkston (turn off A77 at Eastwood Golf Club and travel down Mearns Rd - they have secure bike lockers at Clarkston) and get the train from there if she felt it was too far, but it is all downhill from there.

Traffic through Pollokshaws is bad in the morning, better off going through Queens Park and in on the Vicky Road.

Wobblers

Euthermic
Ah, my old stamping ground...

If she wants to drop her bike off at a train station, Giffnock also has secure bike lockers - just keep on the A77 past Eastwood Toll and and turn right at the lights just past the Royal Bank of Scotland.

Sounds like a pleasant ride, actually. I may have to try it the next time I'm up.

Top Bottom