Kirriemuir Audaxes: 100k & 300k, Sat 5 June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eck

Über Member
There has been a fair bit of chat "elsewhere" about these events, so I thought it only right to make sure everyone on here got the chance to enjoy one of two great audax rides:

The Potter for Tea: an easy 100k tour of the Angus countryside, including rolling farmland, forest and great views of the Grampians, not to mention two café stops. The route is here: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/A-Potter-for-Tea

The Snow Roads: a 300k epic route round some of the toughest climbs in the UK, with 4800m of climbing fun! Featuring the classic climbs of Cairn o'Mount, the Cabrach, the Lecht and Cairnwell. Give yourself a fright by looking at the route here: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/The-Snow-Roads

We will be able to provide food and overnight accommodation of the "snoring competition on the village hall floor" style, both before and after the rides, for a small extra charge. Entry details are on the AUK website. http://www.aukweb.net.cal.index.htm/http://www.aukweb.net/cal/index.htm

Come on up if ye think ye're hard enough. :ohmy:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Wot ? No Mearns Meander ? ;) Cairn o' Mount still closed ??

I have this (terrible) thought to do the Potter for Tea on the Saturday, then the Twa Wee Coonties on the Sunday. :biggrin:

Please talk me out of it/one of them/both of them. :stop:

Noodley

scoosh, you'd manage the Snow Roads this year.

If I was to volunteer to navigate for you (and at the same time slow you down) would you enter? I am well acquainted with the route so you'd not have to look at any routecard if you slowed down to my speed - I'm not sure if I'll be up for it yet but it would give me something to focus on as a target. Did 60k with eck yesterday and I could barely walk last night :smile:

Cairn O'Mount sounds as if it'll be shut for a couple more weeks according to Radio Scotland earlier this week...

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Noodley said:
scoosh, you'd manage the Snow Roads this year.

If I was to volunteer to navigate for you (and at the same time slow you down) would you enter? I am well acquainted with the route so you'd not have to look at any routecard if you slowed down to my speed - I'm not sure if I'll be up for it yet but it would give me something to focus on as a target. Did 60k with eck yesterday and I could barely walk last night :laugh:

Cairn O'Mount sounds as if it'll be shut for a couple more weeks according to Radio Scotland earlier this week...
Thank you for your vote of misplaced confidence :biggrin:and your kind offer. If you were going to be that slow, would you not be needing ice pick, studded tyres etc ? :biggrin:

I don't think I'll do it this year, as I quite fancy doing the Potter 100 on the Saturday, then the Twa Wee Coonties 100 from Dalmeny on the Sunday. Nor sure I could handle a 300 yet. Maybe later this year or a good target for next.

<thinks: how soon before Noodley suggests doing the Snow Roads 300 on the Sat, then the Twa Wee Coonties on the Sunday ?>

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Humm, navigation, does that involve a GPS and sunglass? Not sure Audaxes are your sort of thing HLaB :laugh: :biggrin:

HJ said:
Humm, navigation, does that involve a GPS and sunglass? Not sure Audaxes are your sort of thing HLaB :laugh: :biggrin:
Don't worry I'll get there in the end;)

Noodley

HLaB said:
What's the score with Audaxes:

I believe you have to navigate the route yourself.
Do you have to be a member of Audax UK to enter?
and what sort of average speed do you have to maintain ?

Yes (or follow me :thumbsup:) - in real terms Audax routes in Scotland and fairly easy as the choice of roads is limited (but I have turned off a few times a couple of hunder yards early and added a few miles to routes)

No

Average speed -usually max of 30mph and min varies dependent on length of route.

Noodley said:
Yes (or follow me :thumbsup:) - in real terms Audax routes in Scotland and fairly easy as the choice of roads is limited (but I have turned off a few times a couple of hunder yards early and added a few miles to routes)

No

Average speed -usually max of 30mph and min varies dependent on length of route.
Thanks, I might try one in the summer :becool:

OP
OP
eck

eck

Über Member
Noodley said:

No

:becool: Noodley, you've been at the Magic Beans, or is it the Buckie, again.

HLaB: dinnae run away just yet: the average max is usually 30 Kph, not Mph. Minimum average usually about 15, or can be lower depending, as Noodley says, on length of route, and hilliness too.

Noodley

eck said:
:becool: Noodley, you've been at the Magic Beans, or is it the Buckie, again.

HLaB: dinnae run away just yet: the average max is usually 30 Kph, not Mph. Minimum average usually about 15, or can be lower depending, as Noodley says, on length of route, and hilliness too.

Aye kph, not mph...:thumbsup:

eck said:
:thumbsup: Noodley, you've been at the Magic Beans, or is it the Buckie, again.

Oh 30kph average, I thought he meant 30mph max. With navigating that's good going.

Noodley

HLaB said:
Oh 30kph average, I thought he meant 30mph max. With navigating that's good going.

I have ridden the route few times and you will make it no bother.

Not even a 'competitive' amateur will get round quicker than the limit...:thumbsup:

And even I can make it round on the 'slow' speed....

Top Bottom