Knee pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

David_widnes

Veteran
Hello,

Can anyone recommend a good pain relief cream/ointment?

I seem to have developed a pain directly underneath my kneecap and i wouldn't have a clue what type of ointment or cream to buy to relieve it.

cheers

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
I'd be more worried about what's causing the pain. Is your bike set up correctly?

fungus

Veteran
Try the above first & also think about how you pedal, do you spin a gear or do you tend to grind a larger gear. If your bike set up is ok & the pain continues try glucosamine, it's the only thing that has worked on my dodgy old knees, I get mine from holland & barrett & it's cheapest instore
thumbsup.png
I had 3 months of physio & nearly 6 months off the bike 2 years ago due to pain below the kneecap on the inside of the knee.

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
If the pain is at the front of your knee (the anterior), try either raising your saddle, sliding it back, or spinning rather than grinding. Rather than totally altering your set-up, I'd make any adjustments gradually and you can hopefully identify the problem.

fungus

Veteran
I have read a fair bit of late that suggests these products do not work. See this link for an example

Well they definitely work for me & I can always tell if I miss a day or two.

Basil.B

Guru
I've got a pain under my kneecap (Right) as well, getting worse too.
Cant be cleats for me, as I am using flat pedals at the moment.
Riding a single speed bike.
I would like to know the possible causes as well.
unsure.gif

2PedalsTez

Über Member
Sadly knee pain can come from many options. I used to get a similar pain in my knee after about 50/60 miles. I went to a physio who found out the problem was caused from my over-pronating. This caused torsion up my leg which wasn't being controlled by a particular arse muscle. A specific exercise and insoles and I am right as rain.

That said, I have had knee pain caused by saddle/pedal set up issues, so be 100% on that one first before you dig deeper.

Hope you get it sorted though.

pshore

I'd be more worried about what's causing the pain.

+1

I had knee problems that reoccurred for nine months until I found the root cause. It is such a complicated joint it could be all sorts of things.

As others have said, seriously check your bike fit like saddle height and fore/aft.

Also VERY important is to make sure the muscles around the knee are strong which keep your knee stabilised and working correctly. Weak muscles can cause your knee to go out of alignment as you use it and cause pain over the long term.

There are loads of different exercises, but you might want to home in on Knee Extensions. When cycling your knee is not extended all the way and there is an important muscle that only activates when close to full extension.

Like this: http://www.medicinen...rticlekey=10231

Summary:
  • Sit in chair. Put rolled towel under knees, if needed.
  • Slowly extend one leg as straight as possible.
  • Hold position and flex foot to point toes toward head.
  • Slowly lower leg back down.
  • Repeat with other leg.

Note. I am not Physio !

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
Could be an over use injury or an incorrect set up which I have to say seems more likely. If your seat is too low for instance you might be bending your leg sideways instead of the proper extension. This may cause the patella to 'run' outside of its tract which gives pain below the 'knee cap'.
If you cannot change the seating position there is a strap that fits under the knee that keeps everything on track that is commonly used by runners with the same problem.

Like the glucosamine comments. Don't underestimate the power
rolleyes.gif

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
Get your cleat set up checked. It's more likely ligaments for incorrect set up

My right knee has been aching a bit lately, I banged it work a few weeks ago & put it down to that, Out riding today, every hill (And there where alot of them) I came to was agony, after managing the first 4 through gritted teeth, I decided that I was not going to strain my knee any further & crept up the rest at snail pace, I walked several & didn't even try to ride the 18% one!!
Was only when back at the car & I took my shoes off I noticed the cleat on my right shoe is twisted by a few degrees, I adjusted it, then took bike round car park...my knee still feels tender, but the sharp pain I had been getting has dispeared
I will check my cleats bfeore every ride from now on

Top Bottom