Knobbly tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Ouch,

I've just decided to get my mtb out for a ride down to the supermarket and left the rather agressive Schwalbe Hardliners on it. Ouch they are heavy, slow and unresponsive. Also they do not go round corners.

Why do shops insist on selling bikes with full off-road tyres on them? If I was starting cycling on those tyres I'd be tempted to give up.

I know the standard advice here is to replace the knobbly tyres with smooth ones, but having just gone back I would definitely affirm that they are not suited to going on roads.

(rant over) :biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have to watch it with my MTB on roads with the current Mitchelin Trail tyres - very squirmy - fab off road like.

Took my 1990's MTB into Evans today to be fitted for semi-slick tyres, precisely because of the problems you relate. But the modern 26" semi-slicks don't fit the older style bike rims . . . so I've just gone into one of the forums here (accessories) to see if I can get any seconds. Just thought I'd mention it here though, in case you don't go into "accessories" !!!!

Tynan

Veteran
it makes the bike look sexy to people that imagine them selves crashing through mud

people also think they'll need tyres like that and full sus to tackle pot holes

likewise race bikes have to have ultra skinny slick tyres and the seat post up real high and the handle bars down real low

OP
OP
mcshroom

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I agree, but considering that most ATB/MTB people buy are for tarmac running with a little off-roading thrown in then a semi-slick would be a much more sensible tyre. Decathlon do supply theirs with semi-slicks.

To be fair it was the first time back on the MTB after many months riding around on a tourer and it was the realisation of just how much energy and control they lose on-road that got me. Also the tyres are big lumpy downhill style tyres rather than XC ones. I think a change may be good.

Lady B - I'm surprised that the tyres wouldn't fit your mountain bike. What was the issue? I thought that all mtb were sold with clincher rims that should be able to hold 26" (559) tyres. What sort of bike is it?

(Editied as it didn't make sense :biggrin:)

I will have to get back to you on that one! Not near the bike tonight so can't study it til I get home (tomorrow?!)
I agree, but considering that most ATB/MTB people buy are for tarmac running with a little off-roading thrown in then a semi-slick would be a much more sensible tyre. Decathlon do supply theirs with semi-slicks.

To be fair it was the first time back on the MTB after many months riding around on a tourer and it was the realisation of just how much energy and control they lose off-road that got me. Also the tyres are big lumpy downhill style tyres rather than XC ones. I think a change may be good.

Lady B - I'm surprised that the tyres wouldn't fit your mountain bike. What was the issue? I thought that all mtb were sold with clincher rims that should be able to hold 26" (559) tyres. What sort of bike is it?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Very few people understand tyres. They think that the more tread you have the more grip you get, and you can argue till you're blue in the face that knobbly tyres are useless on tarmac but they look at you like you're mad.

Good morning from Lady B: The bike I can't get semi-slicks for (at Evans) is a 1988 Raleigh Mustang ladies MTB. Evans told me yesterday that the modern tyres don't sit properly on the bike's rims.

To be fair it was the first time back on the MTB after many months riding around on a tourer and it was the realisation of just how much energy and control they lose on-road that got me. Also the tyres are big lumpy downhill style tyres rather than XC ones. I think a change may be good.

(Editied as it didn't make sense :biggrin:)

rh100

Semi slicks made a big improvement on my old MTB, however, I found that if leaning into corners etc the knobbly tread on the sides ruined the handling.

Just to put you out of your misery, the bike is a Raleigh Monterey (circa 1985-90) and I took it in to a small bike shop today (NOT EVANS!!!) and got it fitted with semi-slicks without any trouble. Got driven into by a motorist on the way home though!!!!!!!!!
I will have to get back to you on that one! Not near the bike tonight so can't study it til I get home (tomorrow?!)

OP
OP
mcshroom

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Just to put you out of your misery, the bike is a Raleigh Monterey (circa 1985-90) and I took it in to a small bike shop today (NOT EVANS!!!) and got it fitted with semi-slicks without any trouble.
That's good to hear. Local bike shops tend to know far more about what they are talking about than the chain stores. Glad to hear it's sorted
smile.gif

Got driven into by a motorist on the way home though!!!!!!!!!
ohmy.gif
Ouch! I hope you are ok! (and your bike)

Top Bottom