Knocked down a pedestrian today.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dudi

:biggrin::sad:

On my way home today, she (18 year old named Sian) walked out into the road without looking (on the phone too). I yelled at the top of my voice for her to stop whilst slamming on the brakes, but she kept going and I couldn't get out of her way.

Face meets helmet and we both went down with a hell of a thud. She got a broken nose, quite a bit of blood, but nothing more than that (thankfully). The ambulance and police attended and she got the all clear. I hung around until she was done to make sure she was OK to get home, a friend had come to get her too. She took full responsibility for it, so the police buggered off.

I got away with a badly bruised shoulder and a few cuts and bruises. I just feel so bad for knocking her down, even though I couldn't have avoided it... Made me think. should we all have public liability insurance? just in case!?

Also. any recommendations for a new helmet? mine had a big face-shaped dent in it and is cracked through the shell.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Dudi, most importantly. Hows the bike ? On a serious note I joined the CTC specifically for the insurance package.

gratts

Good to hear she claimed responsibility.
My bike insurance includes public liability insurance. £1.5m or something silly. Hopefully I'll never need it, still nice to know it's there for the pricely sum of £2.70 a month!

OP
OP
dudi

dudi

hiya FFFF.
Bike is alright... aero bars are ou of place, a few scratches and I lost one of te "Fizik" end caps on the bars. i'll have a proper look tomorrow.

I'll have to look in to the CTC thing...

4F

dudi said:
hiya FFFF.
Bike is alright... aero bars are ou of place, a few scratches and I lost one of te "Fizik" end caps on the bars. i'll have a proper look tomorrow.

I'll have to look in to the CTC thing...

Whereabouts did it happen ?

Tynan

Veteran
came literally within a whisker of hitting no less than three last week in an hour

not being smart but for a ped i think it's better to keep moving and try to avoid that lock up

OP
OP
dudi

dudi

On the roundabout where Hawthorn Drive meets Mallard Way. the first rounabout on Hawthorn as you come out of town.

thankfully there wasn't any cars behind!

4F

dudi said:
On the roundabout where Hawthorn Drive meets Mallard Way. the first rounabout on Hawthorn as you come out of town.

thankfully there wasn't any cars behind!

Some peds are really dozy, it's usually either a phone or mp3 which distracts them :biggrin: . Thankfully I don't encounter that many apart from school kids on Defoe road.

Tynan

Veteran
pedestrians nearly have right of way when you're turning into a side road, you're certainly supposed to make sure it's clear before turning in

Not good! Glad you and the ped came off 'relatively' lightly.

As the others have said CTC is your friend. However, you might already have liability insurance on your home insurance. Worth checking.

Mr Phoebus

Tynan said:
pedestrians nearly have right of way when you're turning into a side road, you're certainly supposed to make sure it's clear before turning in
That's true enough and it's been discussed to death (parden the pun) on other forums.
Still shouldn't just shove out pushchairs into the killing zone without first checking it's safe to do so.

Top Bottom