Knocked off by london taxi, then spat at

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Evilcat

The adrenaline has just started to subside so now I can relate this morning's fun.

My usual commute takes me up Picadilly, Shaftesbury Avenue then onto Bloomsbury Way, across Southampton Row into Theobald's Road and Clerkenwell Road and then Old Street to the office in Shoreditch. This morning I was at the junction of Bloomsbury Way and Southampton row where the inside lane is a filter to turn left and the lanes next to it are for straight on. As I was going straight on I was in a reasonable secondary position at the front of the second lane.

You know how sometimes you get that second sense that a car might be about to do something stupid? In this case it was a silver london cab in the left hand filter who decided to go straight on as the lights went green and cut across me (without indicating) from left to right. As he passed I shouted out "You were in the wrong lane", after which he gave me the middle finger and slowed, forcing me to brake hard and then cut sharp right, knocking my front wheel and leaving me toppled over in a heap in the middle of the road.

Of course, adrenaline took over and I was straight back on the bike (which is, I know, the daftest thing to do) and hared off to try and grab him, or at least get the cab number. The cab had actually pulled in further up the road before some lights (dunno what for, maybe to see if I actually got up) and as I got close to him to remonstrate he was kind enough to spit at me through the driver's side window.

Damage is one torn leg warmer and a scuffed knee (hurts horribly now, didn't at the time) plus a scuffs to a glove and a Speedplay pedal. Worth reporting to the police? The local nick is just down the road from the office, and I do have the plate number of the cab... on the other there were no obvious witnesses (no one stopped, no other cyclists around that early) and it's my word against his.

EC

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
worth posting the license plate and cab number here. There's not too many silver cabs in London

yello

Spitting at someone is truly cowardly and disgusting imo.

You probably might have been wiser not to have pointed his poor lane control but that in no way gives him the right to try and injure you with his cab. Report him pronto.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Spitting is an assault, and he deliberately ran you dawn - report it. TBH most accidents you'll not get any other witnesses.

Pretty clear cut. As for chasing him "you chased to get the number".....

Off to the cop shop !

Cop shop definitely. Arrogant and disgusting behaviour.Also Boris Johnson's office, the Licenced cab office - spread the word as far as possible. Did you notice a 'Group' sticker on the side of the cab ie: 'Dial a Cab' or 'Radio Taxis' etc..?

:angry:

Report him, and ask the police to investigate if there is any CCTV in the area where the first incident happened and the spitting.

Also in the future, if someone spits on you, either get straight to the police station without wiping it off, or keep the tissue that you wipe it off on. This would be your proof of the incident as it is possible to get a DNA sample from this. Spitting at someone is classed as assault I believe.

OP
OP
Evilcat

Evilcat

Thanks all: hobbling off to the local nick at lunchtime. I hope he ends up without a badge: idiots like him have no place on the road, let alone driving a cab.

EC

Evilcat said:
Worth reporting to the police?
Definately, with behaviour like that he might have a previous record making your account despite lack of witnesses another nail in his coffin (so as to speak) there may also be CCTV evidence.

Evilcat said:
Thanks all: hobbling off to the local nick at lunchtime. I hope he ends up without a badge: idiots like him have no place on the road, let alone driving a cab.

EC

Push for justice. If they don't take you seriously, police officers not taking seriously and investigating this complaint is actually dereliction of duty which is something to bear in mind if they try and fob you off.

Good luck, and bad luck if you catch my drift :angry:

OP
OP
Evilcat

Evilcat

marinyork said:
Horrible :smile:. Worth reporting to whoever deals with Taxis as well as the Police I'd have thought.

I have reported it to the Public Carriage Office too, although they are fairly explicit about not dealing with what they see as traffic matters.

EC

Top Bottom