knocked off my bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
i was riding home from work last night and was knocked off at a roundabout. i was on the roundabout and a taxi drove into me from the left. the driver claims i rode into him but the police have seen the damage to the car on the front end. The result is a broken collar bone which may need to have plates fitted, torn tendons in my thumb and bruises on my legs. luckily i had my helmet on which is now split. Waiting til monday now to find out if i need an operation and what the police say.

Bike is in a poor condition now bless her ;)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Write everything down.

Were you on the roundabout, and the driver entered it, or was he going round it as well ?

Get a solicitor involved too - Leigh Day work for British Cycling and there are others. Get the incident no. from the police.

Hope it's not too bad.....

OP
OP
T

the hood

I was on the roundabout going straight over. the car approached from the left and was also going straight over. the car drove straight into me. Police are contacting hospital for my medical records and will be interviewing the driver again.

i feel fine, just a little tender. think its the pain relief tho....

bike is not too well tho

:eek:

That sounds nasty! I hope you recover soon, and if the driver was at fault, which it certainly sounds like, then he is punished properly. I think when a driver obviously lies and tries to pervert justice, he should be charged as such!:smile:

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Sounds nasty. Looks like the helmet did its' job. It doesn't matter if you rode into the taxi or not you were on the roundabout and he failed to give way.
Hope you don't need plating, could make flying a nuisance

classic33

Leg End Member
Second what fossyant has said.
Right everything down with regards to what happenned. It doesn't matter at this stage if your the only one that can understand what you've written. Commit it to paper & work on the finer detailing of the wording later, but not too late.

Work through the incident, as you remember it. Conditions, traffic, lights(if there were any on the roundabout). This will give you something to do whilst you instead of just thinking about how sore you're feeling. Spent the night after being hit sideways by a drink driver doing just this.

This way you have a written record of your side of the story that you'll be able to work from later. When you feel you have everything on paper, print a copy of for yourself & keep it safe.

Also photographs. Of the injuries sustained as they are now & later. If you don't feel upto going back to the roundabout get someone else to go back & take a few for you of the roundabout.

The driver of the vehicle that hit me supplied false details to the police. The only thing I had for certain was the vehicle registration. Given that it was a taxi, get in touch, yourself, with your local licensing authority. Explain what has happenned & state clearly that you want the details of the vehicle involved.

gouldina

Sheesh. Bad one. Hope you're OK mate.

Sorry to hear of your accident.

Stick to yours guns, you are totally in the right. You were already on the roundabout whether he has T boned you or you hit him, it doesnt matter. It was your right of way.

Same thing very nearly happened to me on a sunday morning a couple of weeks ago. So many motorists are approaching roundabouts and junctions at ridiculous speeds, and dont see you until last moment.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Take some time and fit the incident together..... here is an example of one of the shots that went to my solicitor - this was taken as a 'driver's view'...... I got 'liability' admitted within 4 weeks, but the rest of stuff (PI) is now into 16 months........

Do expect the third party to wriggle lots, so jot everything down, photo the junction, google map it and all sorts. Get bike to bike shop for quotes asap....get anything that's been even slightly scratched replaced. Photo damage.....

Pain killers work wonders - hope you don't need it plating.

MyRoute5v2.jpg

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Bastard! To do it is bad enough, but to follow up by lying thru' his teeth. What a scumbag. As others have said, get everything down now while it's fresh in your mind. Everything else can wait. And get well soon.

Crankarm

Guru
Sorry to read that another cyclist has been injured by a taxi driving moton. I think your primary concern is to maximise your chances of 100% recovery at this stage. Your bike can wait a few weeks, you ain't going to be riding it that's for sure. A broken collar bone and tendon injuries can be nasty, so give them every chance to heal.

This recent post (https://www.cyclechat.net/ ) a couple of days before yours contains much of what you need to do (my post #8 and a few others pretty much covers all you need to do).

I would make your GP aware asap if they are not already of what has happened to you and your injuries. They should make sure you are getting the treatment you need. They can be very influential.

Get some one to take lots of pics of your injuries. Don't be afraid to be a wuss by asking for help which I guess you will with a broken collar bone.

Were there any witnesses? CCTV?

A personal injury claim by it's nature does take a long time to settle as injuries may take a long time to heal or prognosis may be uncertain. You may also be left with residual pain or restricted mobility which takes time to show that no further improvement is likely. However interim payments from insurers who are liable can be made in the mean time.

If the police decide to charge the taxi driver your civil claim may be delayed until this is resolved. But if the git, sorry driver, is found guilty of whatever offence, this can make your civil claim so much easier as the standard of proof is higher for criminal proceedings than for civil and can be used as prima facae evidence of liability.

Yes keep a diary and minute all conversations with anyone involved in your case, including whichever solicitor you eventually sign up with.

Anyway take it easy and don't struggle to do stuff. Just get better.

dav1d

What is it with some taxi drivers?
I had a similar situation a couple of months ago, except I managed to get out of the way: driver didn't like the fact I had right of way, so deliberately tried to run me over, I increased my speed, and he increased his. I cycled the fastest I could go around the corner (I don't take corners fast but in this instance I had no choice - didn't fall off luckily).

Anyway, hope you are OK, shame about the bike, hopefully you will be compensated for that and the injuries.

Top Bottom