kona lava dome

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hongokongo

Hi,
M son may want to sell his bike, and I just wondered is there a market fo it. It has been well used, tyres,cables etc need replacing.
Just wondering....!!

e-rider

crappy member
If it's an old Steel frame lava dome from pre 1998 it will be snapped up like a hot cake for decent money; but all lava domes will fetch a fair price so I'd say there was definitely a market for it. What size is it? If it's very small you might have more trouble selling it eg. 16".

If it's a 20" or a rare 21" I could be interested.

longers

Legendary Member
If you can get a photo or a couple, its size and a price up on here, then as Tundragumski says there could be a fair bit of interest.

OP
OP
H

hongokongo

I won't have access to the bike for a few weeks. All I can remember is that it was purple, and said Joe Murray on the side. It will be pre 1988, and I assume it is steel (how can I check, a magnet?, ) and where do I measure to get the frame size?

OP
OP
H

hongokongo

I have finally got the bike from my son (kids eh!) It is 19" from the crank to the crossbar, and 21" to the top of the saddle tube. I am trying to attach pictures, but am not very good at this modern stuff.

These old hard tails are coming back into their own just now I think, probably because the new MTBs are so ugly and clumsy. I've an Orange Clockwork c1994 and it's really light and cleans up beautifully. I use it instead of a road bike, it's very comfortable and would be fast if anyone fitter than me were riding it.

henshaw11

Hmm.. I was thinking that pre '88 might not be quite right - sounds like it may be '89 or later:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=521324&sid=3f2e7bad87983654d357d03eb3223387

Yup, it'll be steel - various Konas started to go ally in the mid 90's it looks like:
http://www.konaretro.com/showarticle.php?path=articles/catalogues/

I think it's probably sized on the length of the seat-tube (top of seat tube to centre of bottom bracket, I'd imagine)

OP
OP
H

hongokongo

I've had trouble loading pictures, but it's exactly like the one on the '91 catalouge, page 2 on the konaretro link above

OP
OP
H

hongokongo

I have had interest in the bike. What do you think I should ask for it. It is in good condition, but the saddle is not original, and the cables will need replacing. Also the barends? are rusty where they have been scratched.
Thanks

Top Bottom