La Vuelta SPOILERS.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
About as much as Isle of Man in England 😉
I have met a couple of them that would cut you for saying that. One of them was a 90 year old woman.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
The lack of a processional last day deprived Tao from being able to ride a stage in pink, though. Probably a good idea in COVID times, but if I was a rider, I would want the chance of a last day in the leader's jersey riding through the crowds and soaking in the experience without having to fret about loosing seconds.
I've always thought the final day I'd most like to see would be a TT followed by a road race - probably a criterium. I know that split stages went out of favour some years ago, but as far as I can see the objections don't really apply on the final day.

With my interest piqued, I had a trawl through the grand tour archives to see how often this has been done. Final day time trials were fashionable in both the Vuelta and Tour through the 60s and 70s, but when this led to a split final day more often it was the TT that came second - a missed opportunity I'd have thought. Final day TTs came to the Giro later but have persisted much longer.

The "TT first" configuration has happened five times, at the Tour in 1972, 1973, 1976 and 1977, and also at the 1976 Giro when the lead did indeed change in the TT. That sounds like quite a feisty race.

You can wake up now. ;) I like Roglic. He's had some pretty devastating reverses, and to mind has copped a lot of unfair criticism but he seems brilliantly able to put it behind him.

Skineos had almost no-one to help Carapaz on the final big climbs in this race; did they leave anyone at home that could have taken Froome's place?
(I've had a quick look down their results in Le Tour, and noone jumps out that wasn't either IN the Vuelta, or is injured.)
Maybe after losing Froome/Thomas/Bernal to issues, a win and a podium was quite a decent outcome from their 2020 GT season.

p.s. this is a nice article on "Huge" Carthy: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/54826508

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Near the end of The Cycling Podcast: 193: Press conference, part two
View: https://audioboom.com/posts/7731949
Daniel Friebe opines that it was a tactical error by Ineos not to put anyone in breaks to try to help them survive and this was partly responsible for Roglic getting so much bonus time.

Top Bottom