Lactic Acid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Soooo, Got myself a nice route home while the weather is SOOOOO amazing.

My Achilles heel has always been climbing, so I am hitting this head on with this route

elevation.jpg

The first climb is around 9 miles and approx 850ft according to my Garmin, just what I need to get better at those PESKY Hills & I REALLY enjoyed it TBH

The issue being is this morning, I am swimming in Lactic Acid, what would be a good remedy for this ? I heard an ice cold bath after the ride is good, I did have a cold-ish one, but not ice cold.

Gaz

zacklaws

Guru
If I am not mistaken, I have a feeling a recovery ride cures the problem, where you just go out and spin for a while, or even a cool down in the last few miles of the ride before you get home.

As for ice cold baths, I have never took the "plunge" but what I do is, get in the shower, turn the water to cold, and work my way up my legs slowly from my toes as I get used to the cold as I progress moving steadily higher, after a few minutes its tolerable and I just stand there spraying cold water onto my legs for about ten minutes or till boredom sets in. Don't know if it works, but I do feel better for it afterwards

mr Mag00

rising member
try and spin out for about 10-15mins at end of ride, gentle riding. i too run the cold water over my legs and yes i feel better for it. i also bought recovery tights last year and believe they make a difference too.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
try and spin out for about 10-15mins at end of ride, gentle riding. i too run the cold water over my legs and yes i feel better for it. i also bought recovery tights last year and believe they make a difference too.

Thanks Man

Not sure about tights in this weather tho

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
surprisingly cool when relaxing in them, not used during exercise

Fair Enough

Just doe 5 mins in an ice bath.....actually not "That" bad once you are in, lets see how they feel tomorrow

Garz

Squat Member
Electrolyte drink may slightly help but I find I build up the acid and tend to cramp up quicker if I am grinding the gear too hard.

If you can select a lower gear and spin (standing/sitting whichevers comfortable, you can switch between when you tire) then that helps stave off the build up on longer rides. For short commutes or under 20 miles it probably wont make much difference and is a case of training the body to adapt.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Electrolyte drink may slightly help but I find I build up the acid and tend to cramp up quicker if I am grinding the gear too hard.

If you can select a lower gear and spin (standing/sitting whichevers comfortable, you can switch between when you tire) then that helps stave off the build up on longer rides. For short commutes or under 20 miles it probably wont make much difference and is a case of training the body to adapt.

Each way or in one ?

I am doing about 18 miles each way at the moment, but its Hilly, 1000ft each way , I did spin much more tonight and didnt suffer as much, but my speed was a bit pants TBH :sad:

mr Mag00

rising member
yh but you need to give your body time to chill out, training and dvelopment is as much if not more about R and R as training hard. you need to have recovery rides you cannot go balls out all of the time :biggrin:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The issue being is this morning, I am swimming in Lactic Acid, what would be a good remedy for this ? I heard an ice cold bath after the ride is good, I did have a cold-ish one, but not ice cold.

Gaz

To be honest gb155, I doubt there's any Lactic Acid in your legs in the morning, or much even when you get home, unless you sprint all the way to your kitchen. (Always spin the last 10 minutes or so home).
Lactic acid gets consumed fairly quickly once there is sufficient O2 around, i.e after exertion.

The pain you feel will be due to micro-muscle-fibre damage DOMS. Ice baths help this by concentrating blood flow deeper in the muscle tissue where it can help speed-up the repair process.

http://sportsmedicin...ries/a/doms.htm

GrasB

Veteran
Not sure about tights in this weather tho
Decent quality compression tights, actually almost all non-thermal compression wear actually, are mostly wind transparent so as long as you don't put anything heavy on over the top you'll not be any hotter than you would without them. In fact some of my compression tops actually make me cooler when in the sun than bare skin as the material reflects some of the suns power away but they allow the sweat to evaporate just as effectively bare skin. Another thing to remember is you put recovery compression wear on post ride rather than have it on during the ride.

Brahan

Über Member
I did spin much more tonight and didnt suffer as much, but my speed was a bit pants TBH :sad:

It's the non suffering from time to time that will make you better in the long run. Keeping it in the small ring takes a lot of the demand from your legs and makes your heart work a bit harder. Turn that frown upside down. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom