ladies fitting...baselayers, jerseys etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pompey Princess

Veteran
Been 'window shopping' via the web at the ladies baselayers, jerseys etc and just wondered what the fit was like on some of these items.

You know what it's like, you take one size in one type of make and another for a different make. I don't want to buy a top and then have the aggro of having to send it back, so some advice from previous shopping experiences from the ladies on this board will be most welcome!!

Haven't actually got cold as yet but have a feeling that in the next few weeks or so, I'm gonna need to purchase some 'proper' gear.

Thanks in advance

Nicky ;)

wafflycat

I end up buying men's stuff. Reason - if you're more than a size 14, and taller than five foot four, it would seem you don't cycle - according to the manufacturers... I'm five-six/seven, and without fail, about from one Gore jersey I have, all female specific clothing I have tried, it's assumed women who cycle have no chesticles to speak of, are midgets, or have torsos that are incredibly short, or never ride a bike with drop handlebars, as the length of the body on the back is so short that when riding in anything other than an upright posisiton, the back of the item is too short. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

The general key to cold weather cycling is the same as ever - layering. I end up wearing a windproof front base layer under whatever top I'm wearing. One general item of clothing I have found to be incredibly useful is a Buff (loads of same made by different manufacturers out there) which is basically a snood made of very fine material. Keeps draughts from blowing down the neck of a jersey or jacket - can be used to pull up over mouth, nose, ears, to keep warm. The other items I find invaluable are gloves (warm and waterproof) and an underhelmet cap (this one is best for me)

Plax

Guru
I'm 5 ft 7 and a size 12.
I tend to guess after looking at the sizing charts. I have one Altura jersey and one Endura jersey. I'd recommend going a size up with these brands in the female sizes. The Altura one I have is a size 14. Fits me fine - enough length in the arms etc. The Endura one I have is a size 12. Although it fits, it is what I would call "close fitting" and it could do with having longer sleeves. Anything more than a t-shirt underneath and it gets quite tight, to quote Waffly, in the "chesticle" area.

With mens sizes it's easy - I always go for a small size. In the trousers/shorts department the small size usually ranges from 28-30" waist with the added bonus of having longer leg length. The small tops usually are for 34-36inch chest. I've not had any problems with them being too tight across the chesticle area.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
My favourite baselayer is one of these:
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/helly-hansen/womens-long-sleeve-lifa-crew-ec002224
It's designed for people with curves!
I'm 5'4" and size 14, but still find a lot of jerseys come up quite short. I've got a Pearl Izumi in L that fits well.
Ground Effects sell realistically sized clothing, only drawback is you can't try things on as they are in NZ. Mail order is very quick though. Haven't needed to exchange anything as their clothes all fit so well.
http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/
Minx Girl also have a good range of kit and give good information about sizing.
http://www.minx-girl.com/

Evans always seem to have a good range of women's clothes in stock if there's one near you.

Maizie

Veteran
Useful topic. I have a couple of freeride jerseys, which I have in a large or medium, because of being...erm...well endowed. Even with as good a sports bra as I can find, I'm still rather too shapely for some tops to fit nicely...the more fitted tops are a nightmare. But I suppose fitted-but-slightly-ill-fitting (i.e. fits my bust but is big elsewhere) is probably better than with the freeride jerseys - which basically fit my bust, and then flap around like a tent elsewhere!

Having said that, I was stunned this weekend as I bought an Altura jersey and an Altura night vision jacket in a size 14. I was going to order online, and would have guessed at size 16 at least (though they don't come bigger - so I was expecting to have to go for men's). My Altura 3/4 trouser-things are size 16 and I always need the same size or bigger for tops. But apparently not this time! So worth the slightly higher expense of not shopping online for being able to try on. (Having said that, I've lost weight since I started cycling, so maybe if I was buying new bottoms today I wouldn't be getting a 16)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I agree on the shortness of ladies styles, I'm 5'6 but still find many tops are short when cycling... thats why I have a tanned area on my lower back!!!

I tend to buy size 14 if buying unseen off the internet ... but buying clothes trying on I might go for 12 as I always think I would rather they were slightly baggy than really tight. I like my Scott top and I have a nice new Howies one, and also one winging its way from wiggle to me today (bet I'll be out). I also have a really short Patagonia one which strunk lots but looks nice and feminine rather than really sporty.

Umm well I'm 5'6", size 12, 30" inseam, bigger than average boobs.
Best fitting by far is Gore and Altura for the top half. Anything by Pearl Izumi is too short in the back.
For the bottom half (apart from Assos which I have in a medium), Northwave, Sugoi and Specialized all do me OK. Sometimes the legs are a little long though.
For big boobs also look at Bravissimo as they have some really good sports bras. Makes the top layers fit much better.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've put on my new Sprayway Ladies Torino L/S Base Layer size 14 and I think it seems quite large (they only had the 14 left anyway), but I would have been better in the 12. Does anyone know whether Bamboo fabric shrinks or stretches after washing?

JohnRedcoRn

i have nothing useful to say but have enjoyed reading this

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
wafflycat said:
I end up buying men's stuff. Reason - if you're more than a size 14, and taller than five foot four, it would seem you don't cycle - according to the manufacturers... I'm five-six/seven, and without fail, about from one Gore jersey I have, all female specific clothing I have tried, it's assumed women who cycle have no chesticles to speak of

+ 1

I'm 5'5, size 12 - 14 bottom and size *ahem* on top. The only stuff I've found ok for women's specific is pearl izumi. Endura's XL is only a 14 I believe - and that's a tight 14 :whistle: Cannondale only go up to about a 12 etc etc etc.

I also agree with Maizie - I bought the Altura Night Vision (a 16) and had to send it back as was more an 18 easily.

OP
OP
Pompey Princess

Pompey Princess

Veteran
Wow, thanks for the advice ladies :wub:

I will bear all this in mind when I look online. Checked out a LBS today and they didn't stock much ladies gear but loads of mens...grrr No ladies gloves either, just kids and blokes.

I am currently wearing an Altura Hi-Vis Night Vision jacket and then a Nike drifit short sleeved shirt and I haven't been cold yet but as I said in my initial post, it's bound to get much colder in the next couple of weeks and I want to be prepared!

Top Bottom