Lake District Newbie (sort of).

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Hi Everyone

I'm 55, semi-retired, although edging closer to fully retired each year, and escaped The South about 13 years back and have since holed up in the Lake District where I am staying even after I have been carted off in a box.

I am fit but fat if you can be such a thing and can easily do 20 mile hikes with 10000' height gains in our local mountains.

I used to cycle 1970 - 1975 and then 1997 - 2002.

1971 - 1997; I started with a Carlton SomethingOrOther in a fetching colour scheme of chocolate and blue and ended up with a Raleigh Professional but sadly couldn't afford the Team version - it's a hard life! Belonged to Gravesend Cycling Club (not sure if they still exist) and did some short races but was pretty useless. Much preferred riding to Herne Hill to watch proper racers hurtle round the wooden track.

1996 - 2002; MTB was booming. Got myself a Marin then an Alpinestars and finally a Saracen Kili Pro Elite that I had spec'd with XTR and all sorts of nice stuff that my ability wasn't worthy of. Had fun blasting around Tunbridge Wells where I lived. Then moved to Lake District. Had a climbing accident on Ben Nevis and basically ended up with a right arm that I could not put any weight on. Sold bike!

2011; arm fixed (one minor op' outstanding) and now able to put weight on it again. Getting a new road bike.

Will aim to do 2-3 20-30 mile rides a week so nothing serious. Just to keep me fit and hopefully less fat + I love the Lake District scenery and I want to take that in while I ride.

That's me.

Blue

Legendary Member
:welcome:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
HI and welcome from another Cumbrian offcommer - there's some beautiful scenery in these parts, although I'd recommend gearing down as lakeland planners don't seem to have much of a concept of gradients or going round hills :smile:

Whereabouts are you in the Lakes? There's a few of us around the county, I'm over on the west coast.

:welcome:

theloafer

Legendary Member
:welcome: glad to hear you are on the mend ..:thumbsup: thats a great part of the country to live (my fav touring area) which bike you going for got myself a cannondale synapse carbon with sram apex ^_^ have yet to try her on the lakeland hills :whistle:

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Spesh Secteur or poss' Allez / Trek 2.3 / Cube Peloton race or poss' Agree GTC.

I've tried the Secteur, am trying the Trek tomorrow - the Cubes are hard to pin down despite appearing to be readily available on the web.

Secteur was very nice, if the Trek is as nice it may come down to the best deal that I can get.

Top Bottom