Landis' return

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
yello said:
Just been reading of this on the beeb

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/cycling/7846068.stm

What do you make of this (my bold italics)...

...a reference to someone perhaps???
Could be! ;)

ChrisKH

Guru
Fair do's. It's refreshing to hear he just wants to get back to cycling rather than cure cancer, for example.

ChrisKH

Guru
Dayvo said:
And wanting to raise the profile of curing cancer and hopefully eliminate it is such a terrible crime! :laugh:

Not at all Davyo. I think Lance's 'aim' is admirable. However I think using it as a reason to re-start competitive cycling is misguided. By comparison everyone else will always appear to be a sefish curmudgeon.

ChrisKH said:
Not at all Davyo. I think Lance's 'aim' is admirable. However I think using it as a reason to re-start competitive cycling is misguided. By comparison everyone else will always appear to be a sefish curmudgeon.
It's one of the better ways of dealing with a post-retirement midlife crisis, granted.

But it's hardly essential.

ChrisKH said:

If he literally is along just for the ride to add a few 'lanterne rouge' jerseys to his collection, then I'd be inclined to agree with you; but I feel that he genuinely believes he can still compete at the highest level AND help a good cause.

Landis is a cheat and will always be, despite being on the sidelines for two years!

He's served his time under the current punishment system so I welcome him back. Can he repeat what he did: I want to know. He still owes me £40 in mobile charges trying to follow his progress on the Morzine stage while I was in the middle of some backwater.

I don't believe Lance is returning to cycling to raise cancer awareness.

I can imagine Lance is returning to cycling for many reasons, like
- he can't hack life outside cycling
- when in cycling he was the centre of media attention and a powerful man
- it's an opportunity to stick a finger up to lots of people who he feels have wronged him (like the French !)
- he doesn't see the current competition, without doping, as being all that strong

In returning to cycling he can raise cancer awareness, and it makes a good story to give to the press, but his primary motivation - no.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Lance has given the thumbs up;

Armstrong said Landis should be treated with fairness. And he believes his compatriot should be given the same positive reception as Britain's David Millar. Millar was widely applauded for admitting to using the banned blood booster EPO (erythropoietin) and is now regarded as a symbol of the sport's fight against the drugs cheats.

"People serve their time, and when their time is up they get to go back to work," said Armstrong. "Sometimes I get frustrated with people who criticize his return, and then they stand up and cheer when David Millar returns.
"It's the same thing. You serve your suspension, get back on the bike."
http://www.velonews.com/article/86819

Except that Millar didn't continue to protest his innocence, and set up a team devoted to racing clean though, so not quite the same thing? Lance either doesn't get it, or is misrepresenting the case in favour of Floyd.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
andy_wrx said:
I don't believe Lance is returning to cycling to raise cancer awareness.
Actually, that I can believe - there's a genuine passion about that that comes through in both his books and the things I've read about him.

John the Monkey said:
Lance has given the thumbs up;

http://www.velonews.com/article/86819

Except that Millar didn't continue to protest his innocence, and set up a team devoted to racing clean though, so not quite the same thing? Lance either doesn't get it, or is misrepresenting the case in favour of Floyd.
Quite...:laugh:
He has a history of siding with disgraced riders against the anti-doping authorities. He also has a history of denying that pro-cycling has a serious drugs problem.

ChrisKH

Guru
Dayvo said:
If he literally is along just for the ride to add a few 'lanterne rouge' jerseys to his collection, then I'd be inclined to agree with you; but I feel that he genuinely believes he can still compete at the highest level AND help a good cause.

Landis is a cheat and will always be, despite being on the sidelines for two years!

I still can't help feeling that re-inserting Armstrong into cycling is depriving (by virtue of sponsorship,etc.), what, ten new young riders from competing at the highest professional level? He has been there, done it, has nothing to lose. The Armstrongs/Schumakers/Man U's of this world don't always add value to the equation IMO.

As others have said, Landis has served his time. Yes, he's a cheat but there are many other cheats in cycling. I don't condone what he did, but he has served his punishment and is (whether he should be is another matter) allowed to carry on. Landis has absolutely everything to lose in comparison to Armstrong. It's all he knows.

In that respect Armstrong is a lot like Landis. He can't hack it outside cycling; can't raise the same sort of awareness and revenue for his charitable work. I don't think Armstrong being in the mix adds anything to professional cycling. It detracts from the competitive aspects. He doesn't start on an equal footing with other normal riders. He has ceased to be a professional earning his living and has become a rider for charity. This isn't what professional cycling is or should be about IMO.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Chuffy said:
Quite...:laugh:
He has a history of siding with disgraced riders against the anti-doping authorities. He also has a history of denying that pro-cycling has a serious drugs problem.

I do think he's right in that if people serve their penalty under the rules at the time, why shouldn't they ride, but to go beyond that and present Landis as being the same as Millar (and by extension those who have a problem with Landis as being in some way hypocritical) is plain wrong (imo).

Top Bottom