Lands end to John o groats un-supported

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jhps1v07

Some friends and i are cycling lands end to John o groats. I have bought a Fausto Coppi San Remo to do it on as i thought afterwards i would get more use out of a racer than a touring bike. I was wandering what the consequences would be of putting panniers on a racer? Obviously i dont expect it to perform like a raceing bike when loaded up to the gunnels but at the same time i do not want to damage it. I have looked at carradice saddlebags but where i can i would like to avoid expenses and panniers seem to be both cheaper and able to hold more luggage.
Any ideas would be very much appriciated.
Thankyou
Johnny

Noodley

Hi Johnny

If it's a 'racer' then it's unlikely to have bosses for a rack to attach panniers. So maybe you'll have to look at a seatpost rack as an option.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
If you happen to live in Leeds, mystery opening poster, the Leeds Action Group have trailers you can borrow for free if you're a member.

Might be worth checking your local CTC or cycle groups to see if they have such a facility.

Tubus do a rack which will go on a regular road frame - it attaches to the rear wheel drop outs, and has a bendy rod thing which will attach to either your seat clamp or brake bridge, depending on whether there's a bolt hole. My mate has done this on an early look road frame and it works OK.

The only thing I would be worried about riding something like that is the gearing! Every Fausto Coppi frame I have seen is equipped with a standard double chainset, which is way way way too big for anything like this. Unless you are Jan Ullrich from 5 years ago in disguise, I would suggest that you'll need a triple at least, with a granny ring of around 30 teeth or less, and a block which goes up to 28, if you are going to get there in one piece.

Take a good look at your drivetrain and transmission. I know serious roadies who have done rides like this with minimal luggage and they all recommend triples. I also did this ride on a triple but on a loaded tourer, and I have never been so tired in my whole life!

andym

Über Member
Kirstie said:
Tubus do a rack which will go on a regular road frame - it attaches to the rear wheel drop outs, and has a bendy rod thing which will attach to either your seat clamp or brake bridge, depending on whether there's a bolt hole. My mate has done this on an early look road frame and it works OK. !

You need to look for the accessory kit which uses an extra long Quick-Release axle - it's a useful piece of kit. If you have a 31.8mm seatclamp you could use the M:Part seatclamp doobrie.

Nice to see that we're being precise and accurate with our terminology...;)

jay clock

Massive member
Once you have worked out how to get a rack on (try "P clips") a problem may well be heel clearance. Road bikes have a shorter wheelbase so it is possible your heels would clip the panniers......

samid

Veteran
jay clock said:
Once you have worked out how to get a rack on (try "P clips") a problem may well be heel clearance. Road bikes have a shorter wheelbase so it is possible your heels would clip the panniers......
Exactly, and keep in mind that heel clearance depends also on the rack, the panniers, and your shoe size. A big longish rack (such as Blackburn Ex-1) is much better in that respect than a smaller one (e.g. Nitto Campee). (Ask me how I know ;) ...)

fenman

did it on a colnago dream with carradice bag and quick release bracket on seat post no problems 1040 mls in 10 days in 2007 found that stoping in pubs you had a evening meal without having to go out to find somewhere if you are in a b&b any good luck with it hope the wind is always behind you !!

twowheelsgood

I have a Trek 1200 road bike and I have tried it with a pannier rack (they have bosses, unusually)

My advice - don't bother.

Racing style bikes have a short wheelbase mainly due to a short rear stay. This means even if you can get a rack on via P-clips or to the frmae, then your heels are likely to catch any paniers.

Furthermore the agile handling of a race bike works against you when loaded, in fact I didn't feel very comfortable at all riding loaded.

Best borrow or hire a something more specific. A trailer might be a good idea, I shop with one but a really don't like touring with it myself.

betelorg

A friend of mine bought a seat post clamping rack and we had great difficulty getting it to stay in place. We tried almost everything but it kept moving to left or right. It had vertical struts but was supplied without any fixings of any kind and when the rack moved left or right these became very close to the spokes of the back wheel. Unfortunately he was killed in Spain a week later while riding with this, there is no telling the cause but please don't be tempted. A seat post clamp is not enough.

Top Bottom