Lands End to.... ok then, Tunbridge Wells...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickds

Hi - Next month we are going to ride from Lands End to Tunbridge Wells to raise some money for sports equipment for a local school. We intend to take 5 days - only road bikes - about 350 miles...

I'd appreciate any suggestions of nice routes to take that compromise between being very quiet and having not too many evil hills. Any suggestions of good pubs to stay in would also be appreciated.

I spoke to SUSTRANS and amazingly they don't keep any details of the terrain, i.e. they can;t say which routes are suitable for on vs. off-road bikes, so we can't rely on those.

SWMBO is on a custom-fit carbon thingy, I have my trusty 30 y/o Claude Butler. Both of us have done decent rides before, e.g. Vatternrunden & Castle 100 etc., but not spread over several days.

Suggestions welcome for what route to take, what to pack etc.

Thanks

Nick

andym

Über Member
I don't know about Cornwall and Devon, but if you want to avoid too many hill you need to be lloking towards skirting to the north of 'wessex' and skirting the northern edge of the South Downs. Have a look at the terrain view in Google Maps to get an idea of the lie of the land.

When it comes to the NCN - the maps do distinguish between road and off-road routes. If you do find sections of off-road that look possible you could try looking at the Ordnance Survey maps or Google Images/Street View.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I spoke to SUSTRANS and amazingly they don't keep any details of the terrain, i.e. they can;t say which routes are suitable for on vs. off-road bikes, so we can't rely on those.

Thanks

Nick

I'm not surprised that Sustrans can't say which parts of their routes are suitable for on and off-road bikes (it's probably a won't say) as it's a subjective judgement. It might also lead to them be pursued for compensation if someone damaged their road bike on a section that Sustrans said a road bike could cope with and the rider thought that the section should have been MTB only.

The Sustrans maps indicate off road sections and there's usually enough territory covered to facilitate the selection of alternative routes. You also need to be mindful that Sustrans routes are rarely the most direct or the flattest.

Mhartino

We are starting the LEJOG Cycle on Monday. Are there certain stanps we need to get to make it all official?
Mhartino

Brains

Legendary Member
I live in SE London but family is from Cornwall, so I've done that route many many times by car/train/plane etc.
I've also cycled it although not all in one go.

I basically stuck to Sustrans routes the whole way.

My route was along the Thames (flat and cycle path most of the way)
Turn left at Reading and along the Kennet and Avon canal (flat and cycple path most of the way)
Bath, Wells, across the Somerset levels (flat and minor roads most of the way)
You then have a choice of routes north around the top of Exmoor, or south around the bottom, both have bumpy bits,
I went to Barnstable, then down the Tarka Trail (lovley),
the turn left to Holsworthy to Bude (hilly)
From Bude you run parallel with the coast via Week st Mary (The other route right beside the coast is very hilly)
Davidstow moor
Then you join up with the Camel Trail (also lovley)
I then followed the north coast down from Padstow

Do NOT under any circumstances include the A30 or A303 in your route plans, it may be legal to cycle on both, but once you get into the West Country the A30 is a motorway in all but name. The A303 is a fast dual carrage way for most of the route.

Also don't under estimate the distance. Car routing will tell you 350 miles, I'd guess cycle routing is at least 100 miles more

Hi - Next month we are going to ride from Lands End to Tunbridge Wells to raise some money for sports equipment for a local school. We intend to take 5 days - only road bikes - about 350 miles...

Sounds like a fun ride! I'd love to do something like that.

I'd appreciate any suggestions of nice routes to take that compromise between being very quiet and having not too many evil hills. Any suggestions of good pubs to stay in would also be appreciated.

It looks like Brains' route will get you to Reading. I've done Reading to Tonbridge a few times and have a route that's reasonably quiet, and very flat via Camberley, Woking, Leatherhead, Dorking, Redhill and Edenbridge.

I have laminated maps and turn by turn printed cycling directions if you want them. PM me if you're interested.

Top Bottom