1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Langster Rear cog noise

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Jockey, 15 May 2008.

1. Jockey

Jockey New Member

I'm looking for some help - Hopefully I've come to the right place!! I recently bought a Specialized Langester (08) which I use as my daily commute. I've done less than 200 miles on it, yet the rear cog (the single speed - not the fixed) seems to be making a hell of a racket. I've checked everything visually but I can't see what the problem is - does anyone have any clues... Funny thing is I bougth the single speed as a low maintenace option.. I had less problems with my previous commuter geared bike - hey ho!!

Also, if it looks like a cog problem - does anyone know off the top of their heads how to go about replacing the cog?

Any help appreciated.

2. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Huge Member

you need a sepcial tool to remove said freewheel from rear wheel, mine is seized solid thus makes no noise :biggrin: . Tool available from LBS or online not too expensive.

3. Jockey

Jockey New Member

Do I guess that to be a chain whip - if so I've got one of them... Do you know if the rear cog has bearings in it, or is it a sealed racer?

4. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Makes a hell of a noise doesn't help - what sort on noise - click click, or a horrible grinding noise.

Noise when pedaling, or noise when freewheeling - they mean different things !

Fixie freewheels are cheap, but you'll need a tool to remove it !

5. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

Why are you riding a Langster freewheel?

6. Tharg2007

Tharg2007 Well-Known Member

does it matter why?

7. BentMikey

BentMikey Rider of Seolferwulf

+1

8. Jockey

Jockey New Member

Ok, thanks for all the replies... i knew I had come to the right place... to answer the various quieries in turn;

1. The noise is definitly when pedling and is a contious meshing sort of noise, but is louder than you would expect... almost like loose / missing bearings, but not knowing if its a sealed unit or free bearings i'm unsure of my diagnosis here.
    2. Why ride freewheel - on the track I'm happy with fixed but on the road with many drivers just choosing to stop, pull-out etc etc, I just don't feel comfortable keeping my mantra going ("pedal, pedal") and flying myself head first somewhere.... Did I hear someone say whimp at back????;)

Also everyone mentions that I'll need a tool to get the old freewheel off, is that a chain whip or something extra special.

Thanks again..

9. skwerl

skwerl New Member

you need a freewheel remover
    eg http://www.albes.com/browseproducts/FREEWHEEL-REMOVER-TOOL-(4PRONG).html).

Look at the body of the FW and you'll see raised (probably) sections that engage a tool to allow you to unscrew. A chain whip won't work as you'll be turning anti-clockwise - the same direction in which the sprocket freewheels

10. skwerl

skwerl New Member

oh and by "eg" I mean "as an example" and not that actual tool.

You could use a hammer and punch as well

11. skwerl

skwerl New Member

and it will be a sealed unit.
    if you want a good, high-quality FW then look at an ENO. i think they're about 80 quid though

12. Jockey

Jockey New Member

Thanks skwerl - I appreciate the help.... right I'm off to the shop for a 4prong tool - I'll take a look at me bearing unit me thinks...

13. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

+1

14. cheadle hulme

cheadle hulme Über Member

Mine turned into a fixed by seizing up (rust inside - no grease) and then sticking solid while pedalling.
    In the end I had to strip it down and use improvise with a chainwhip on the pawls. This was on a cheapo Cheng Dong brand freewheel, not sure what the Langster one is.

15. BentMikey

BentMikey Rider of Seolferwulf

On my 06 langster I get a similar noise, though it's fixed. I think it's because the chainline is slightly out.