Langster Rear cog noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jockey

I'm looking for some help - Hopefully I've come to the right place!! I recently bought a Specialized Langester (08) which I use as my daily commute. I've done less than 200 miles on it, yet the rear cog (the single speed - not the fixed) seems to be making a hell of a racket. I've checked everything visually but I can't see what the problem is - does anyone have any clues... Funny thing is I bougth the single speed as a low maintenace option.. I had less problems with my previous commuter geared bike - hey ho!!

Also, if it looks like a cog problem - does anyone know off the top of their heads how to go about replacing the cog?

Any help appreciated.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
you need a sepcial tool to remove said freewheel from rear wheel, mine is seized solid thus makes no noise :biggrin: . Tool available from LBS or online not too expensive.

OP
OP
J

Jockey

Do I guess that to be a chain whip - if so I've got one of them... Do you know if the rear cog has bearings in it, or is it a sealed racer?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Makes a hell of a noise doesn't help - what sort on noise - click click, or a horrible grinding noise.

Noise when pedaling, or noise when freewheeling - they mean different things !

Fixie freewheels are cheap, but you'll need a tool to remove it !

OP
OP
J

Jockey

Ok, thanks for all the replies... i knew I had come to the right place... to answer the various quieries in turn;

1. The noise is definitly when pedling and is a contious meshing sort of noise, but is louder than you would expect... almost like loose / missing bearings, but not knowing if its a sealed unit or free bearings i'm unsure of my diagnosis here.
2. Why ride freewheel - on the track I'm happy with fixed but on the road with many drivers just choosing to stop, pull-out etc etc, I just don't feel comfortable keeping my mantra going ("pedal, pedal") and flying myself head first somewhere.... Did I hear someone say whimp at back????;)

Also everyone mentions that I'll need a tool to get the old freewheel off, is that a chain whip or something extra special.

Thanks again..

skwerl

Jockey said:
Also everyone mentions that I'll need a tool to get the old freewheel off, is that a chain whip or something extra special.

Thanks again..

you need a freewheel remover
eg http://www.albes.com/browseproducts/FREEWHEEL-REMOVER-TOOL-(4PRONG).html).

Look at the body of the FW and you'll see raised (probably) sections that engage a tool to allow you to unscrew. A chain whip won't work as you'll be turning anti-clockwise - the same direction in which the sprocket freewheels

OP
OP
J

Jockey

Thanks skwerl - I appreciate the help.... right I'm off to the shop for a 4prong tool - I'll take a look at me bearing unit me thinks...

Mine turned into a fixed by seizing up (rust inside - no grease) and then sticking solid while pedalling.
In the end I had to strip it down and use improvise with a chainwhip on the pawls. This was on a cheapo Cheng Dong brand freewheel, not sure what the Langster one is.

Top Bottom