laptop recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
i've just had a life insurance policy mature so am thinking of getting a new pc before the wife spends all the cash.
at the moment we have an oldish fujitsu desktop which my son and daughter use and i have a samsung nc10 netbook. i'm thinking of clearing all my mapping and photo stuff stuff out of the desktop and putting it on the new laptop
and leaving my son and daughter to their own devices on it.
the laptop will be mainly used for tracklogs mapping/gps and photo editing/ adobe ps elements.It'll need bluetooth and the usual usb ports. i want a biggish screen as the netbook isn't quite big enough when planning rides or editing photos.
i'm not too bothered abouit battery life as it'll probably stay in the house.
i don't know where to start but as i'm happy with the quality of the nc10 i've looked at a samsung R580. so i'd appreciate any help you can give as regards reliability and value for money on any other good laptops..I can probably get away (without too much earache!) for anything at roughly the price of the samsung.
thanks

i'm thinking of clearing all my mapping and photo stuff stuff out of the desktop and putting it on the new laptop

As an aside you do have this all backed up to an external drive don't you ?

Manonabike

Über Member
i've just had a life insurance policy mature so am thinking of getting a new pc before the wife spends all the cash.
at the moment we have an oldish fujitsu desktop which my son and daughter use and i have a samsung nc10 netbook. i'm thinking of clearing all my mapping and photo stuff stuff out of the desktop and putting it on the new laptop
the laptop will be mainly used for tracklogs mapping/gps and photo editing/ adobe ps elements.It'll need bluetooth and the usual usb ports. i want a biggish screen as the netbook isn't quite big enough when planning rides or editing photos.
i'm not too bothered abouit battery life as it'll probably stay in the house.
i don't know where to start but as i'm happy with the quality of the nc10 i've looked at a samsung R580. so i'd appreciate any help you can give as regards reliability and value for money on any other good laptops..I can probably get away (without too much earache!) for anything at roughly the price of the samsung.
thanks

The quality of the NC10 is pretty good so will have to spend a fair amount to get the same quality.

One thing the keep in mind with laptops, the technology is changing very quickly all the time and you might pay £1000 for one now and a few months time the same laptop would cost you £700.

I don't think you need something so good - just make sure that you get plenty of ram because windows 7 uses it like the world is coming to an end.

The most expensive way to keep up to date is trying to keep up with processing power. Most people don't need that but still want the latest processor.

I don't know how much photo editing you do but if you managed with an old pc and the NC10 up to know then any of the middle of the road processors available today will do just fine. No need for the super fast, although, salespeople will try to sell you that and more.

If you are not going to use the battery very often then to save and extend its life.... drain it up to 60%, wrap it in plastic and leave in the fridge.... every 2 or 3 months use it for a few days and do the same again. I have an old HP laptop and the original battery, 5 or 6 years old, still charges up to 100% - absolutely perfect for those times I need to take my laptop with me :-) On the other hand, my daughter's laptop battery lasted 15 months.... so, if you don't need the battery then keep it next to the cheese :biggrin:

OP
OP
P
thanks
yes everything is backed up on external drives, usually every month.

thanks for the advice on batteries, i wondered how you went on with them , lifewise, if the laptop is plugged in a lot as most people seem to have them.
will probably look out for the slightly older processors as well.

Top Bottom