Last night...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

I done a group ride which was SOO fast I had to leave the bottle open (to get a drink) and hardly had chance to look around...

66kms - 2hrs [overall]

I'm thinking of taking up touring :biggrin:

monnet

Guru
Chaingang per chance?

I never cease to be amazed at how the 1st cat and elite riders drag the speed up. A few weeks ago I was really struggling to come through on my turn (the weather was iffy so I was on the training bike with 50x12 top). I was spinning out, looked down and yes I was in top looked at the computer and there was the answer. We were travelling at 62km/h!!
I felt a little out of my depth - and not long after I was out the back. They looked majestic disappearing into the distance!

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

Yeah its funny aint it: Monnet - the start speed went from 32kms..to 47kms in about 1/4 of a mile :eek:

No wonder I feel like i've been thru a washing mashine at the end of them...

If i get dropped, I say, 'its better to let them go rather than get dropped :bicycle: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

I'd like to know how many on here do ride changangs..:thumbsup:

Keith Oates

Janner
I never get dropped, I just decide that I've completed the milage I had set out to cover and then relax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

Keith Oates said:
I never get dropped, I just decide that I've completed the milage I had set out to cover and then relax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:sad: - thats the spirit Keith !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

monnet

Guru
yenrod said:
By the way - if you can - sit on the back then you dont get shelled out'...

That's what I try. Sometimes it's just not possible. Our chainy has two groups. I go in the first, 'slow' group. The fast group set off about 5 minutes later. They usually catch us after about 20 miles. I think we lose out a bit as it takes us longer to get the chain organised as most of us don't race nearly as often. It gets exciting when they can see us on the straights. They up the pace to catch us and we up the pace to hold them off for that bit longer.

My usual tactic is to work hard with the slow group and then when the fast guys turn up, I jump on the back and do as you say and sit near the back and I can usually hang on - it's when I work with the fast boys that the problems start! If I sit in it allows me a bit of time to have a dig for the sprint too.

It's great fun though. I often get home thinking 'I could really have done with a bit longer', I then look at the clock remember how hard it was and think 'Hmm, I actually did 40 miles in 2 hours - that's more than enough for tonight!'

cannondale boy

Über Member
Joined a club a couple of years ago, only lasted about a month. Was not happy that the experienced cyclists were taking off at warp speed after a couple of miles into the sunday run.

When i first started i was fit (still am :biggrin:) with a decent bike (still have it) but just could not catch up with them because they were all slipstreaming. Shame really because its great being in a group, talking about other peoples bikes and how there week went...but some of them took it a little bit too seriously for my liking. The team leader said when i joined "no one gets left behind" except me!

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

Heh Cannon - i started riding the chainy's on a road converted MTB: and i pissed them to hell.

Never think yourself seperate (from them) or unfitter than them you can do it.

Use it to your advantage.

I hate/d and still do depise the mental aspect of the the group and they know it - and they still play the club clicquey thing - though they've enough of a life to know that a 'rides a ride' and getting more out is more important.

All the best for the future!

Noodley

Fast chaingangs should be reserved for those who can handle them. But there should also be the option of newer/slower riders joining a club with the option of learning.

I suppose it depends on the nature of the club.

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

Noodley said:
Fast chaingangs should be reserved for those who can handle them. But there should also be the option of newer/slower riders joining a club with the option of learning.

I suppose it depends on the nature of the club.

Noods' they do, on a Tue. have a training session for juniors and the likes...compared to how it used to be 35ml 'flat' jaunt...

Most of these things, groups; do 2 groups 1 'slow' & 1 fast.

But this group I ride with don't get enough, riders.

monnet

Guru
cannondale boy said:
Joined a club a couple of years ago, only lasted about a month. Was not happy that the experienced cyclists were taking off at warp speed after a couple of miles into the sunday run.

When i first started i was fit (still am :?:smile: with a decent bike (still have it) but just could not catch up with them because they were all slipstreaming. Shame really because its great being in a group, talking about other peoples bikes and how there week went...but some of them took it a little bit too seriously for my liking. The team leader said when i joined "no one gets left behind" except me!

That sounds a bit grim. Our summer Sunday runs are definitely inclusive. They can get a bit strung out on the hills but we always regroup at the top. The last 20 miles or so can get a bit tasty as well, depending who's out. Regardless, no-one is left behind, even if it means some of the experienced club members wait behind for newer folk who aren't used to the speed/distance/group riding.

Chaingang's are different kettles of fish altogether though and when I started going out with mine I made sure I knew the circuit as I had no expectation of being waited for if dropped. And why should a bunch of Elites and 1st cats wait for me when they are on their weekly training ride?

Just out of interest Yenners, where does your ride go/ who do you do it with? I'm a Lancastrian in exile in the South West so I know the highways and clubs of Lancs reasonably well.

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

> Just out of interest Yenners, where does your ride go/ who do you do it with? I'm a Lancastrian in exile in the South West so I know the highways and clubs of Lancs reasonably well.

Well, Monn - its the liverpool century's and it goes over runcorn bridge and around that area but i can also get to one that meets in Bickerstaffe but thats a well attended group as you've 3 clubs + coming together there.

I've been told some of the Wigan riders come over for this one.

And the last I can get to but dont now as its meet is too early - the Warrington RC' club nice route..down the A49 (S) to Weaverham.

BTW Monnet you can tell your a northerner - your conversational :?: ;)

Losidan

I remember when I rode road years back and "thought" I was pretty decent...Then I had a go with the thursday chain gang a couple of times ...had my arse handed to me on a plate...fair play to the lads they gave me the benefit of the doubt and were quite welcoming and helpful on what I should be doing etc but I got a BIG shock over those few weeks

Top Bottom