LBS and Chain Wear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mgarl10024

Über Member
When I bought my bike from the LBS, it came with 4wk service, then with 3 free services spaced 8mths apart.

Last week, the bike went in for the 2nd of these services as she's now about 18mths old (and 2800miles on the clock).

The shop is normally excellent, but when the bike came back this time around the (new) mechanic there said "I've put it on your form (which he had) that your chain is 1% worn and so for your next service you should think about replacing it and your cassette too".
Stunned, I said "really? The chain tool at home..."
*interrupts* "1%. It's at 1%".
I could see I was going nowhere.

A few things strike me as odd about this, but I'm open to suggestion as I'm no mechanic...

- The chain on the bike is around 8mths (1400miles) old and I keep it pretty clean. I also regularly check it with one of these chain wear tools which is still not even detecting 0.75%, let alone 1%.
- If he believed it was 1%, then why wasn't he advocating a new chain now? If it had just reached 1%, then changing the chain would protect the cassette. Instead, he must have beleived that the cassette was already worn away by the 1% chain and so a new chain would slip, in which case the cassette was knackered and so should probably be replaced now as it could start slipping in the future. The only thing I can think of is that he thought it was in the middle - a bit worn, but would last 8mths.

Alternatively, he could have been trying to just sell me new bits. However, as I doubt (I've no idea for sure) that he's on commission for sellings bits, I can't see his motive. Maybe it's a training issue. I was tempted to take it up with the shop, but (if honest) couldn't be bothered and feared embarrassment.

All left me a bit confused, and even doubting my abilities with the chain tool....

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

MG

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Double check with your chain tool. Try in in a few places. If it says it's OK it is. 0.75 think about a new chain - 1 or more time for new.

To be honest you've done well for a chain to last 18 months/2800 miles. I used to go through two chains and a cassette each year - about 4000 commute miles. (I'm on fixed now so things last longer).

Fortunately he's said next service, so you aren't being stung - just be prepared for the likely extra cost.

OP
OP
mgarl10024

mgarl10024

Über Member
Hi Fossyant,

To be honest you've done well for a chain to last 18 months/2800 miles.

Sorry if I wasn't clear - the bike has done 2800 miles, the chain has done 1400. I changed it when the old one reached 1%.

Double check with your chain tool. Try in in a few places. If it says it's OK it is. 0.75 think about a new chain - 1 or more time for new.
I have tried in a few places and can't get it to fail anywhere - this is what has led to my confusion.

Thanks,

MG

Top Bottom