Leason learnt the hard way

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Part time cyclist

Über Member
1: never put anything that may break in the rear pockets of your cycling jersey!!!!
2: don't slide down the road on your butt stay on your bike
3: don't put your foot down to try and stop yourself from going it jars your knee sideways and that bloody hurts...

I was out riding at stupid o'clock this morning heading from the A25 towards the bottom of titsey hill, as I rounded the sharp right hand bend in limpsfield the bike slipped away from under me sending me to the road on my butt. Only problem was that I landed on my phone smashing the screen. No one about do it shouldn't appear on you've been framed.... I was at my fittest point from home on today's ride so I got up brushed off and carried on up titsey hill, church hill, then salt box hill. Appart from the bloody rain and the little excursion down the road it's was a good ride.... If not a bit expensive...

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
Hey, you were lucky then! Glad you can still say the ride was good, but how expensive?

I had my mobile in an outer pocket on my rucksack once and when I lost grip on some gravel and took a heavy tumble, just when I needed it to ring the 'support vehicle', the thing decided to stop working. As far as I could tell, it was just the shock of the bag hitting the road, because the phone looked completely intact but would not turn on (and subsequently had to be replaced by my first ever smart phone - which has actually been much better!).

Nowadays, phone is buried inside the rucksack.

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
Mobile phone and house keys are objects I don't keep on my person. Being stabbed by a banana is preferable to being stabbed by a key, and I just know I will sit on and squash my phone if I had a tumble.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Mobile phone and house keys are objects I don't keep on my person. Being stabbed by a banana is preferable to being stabbed by a key, and I just know I will sit on and squash my phone if I had a tumble.
Me neither. Other than a wedge bag under the saddle, I use either a tribag behind the stem, which will hold wallet, phone, keys, the odd allen key, and a muesli bar, and/or one of those wide mouth tool bottles in spare bottle cage. I know a chap whose cycling career was seriously interrupted by a nasty back injury caused by his mobile phone, and I won't carry anything unyielding in my jersey pockets - just food and wind/rain tops.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
i have a pay as you go nokia 1800 from carphone warehouse which costs a tenner, i divert my smart phone to this when out on a ride. Because it lacks smartphone functionality, the battery life is decent and if needed i still have something to use to make an emergency call. It's also small enough to fit in any size saddle bag or jersey pocket. I have even attached it under the seat using elastic bands at times.
For safety I also have on the battery i have a sticker with contact details for an emergency.

worse case senario is it costs me ten quid to replace and a little inconvienience

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
It's not damage caused to the phone I worry about, it's damage caused by the phone.

D

Deleted member 1258

My phone always gets put in either the saddle bag or the work bag, some years ago a club mate was out in the sticks on his own and took a tumble, damaged his bike but not himself and landed on his phone, he had a five mile walk to find a farm with a phone so he could call his mrs to come and pick him up. Since that happened I've made a point of not carrying the phone on my person.

Norm

As well as Dave R's comment...
1: never put anything that may break in the rear pockets of your cycling jersey!!!!
... it's easy to say with hindsight but can I suggest:
1: never put anything that may break your spine in the rear pockets of your cycling jersey!!!!

However painful that might be, and I'm sure it is already and will feel even worse tomorrow, imagine if you were one who carries a pump or something back there. **shudder**

As well as Dave R's comment...

... it's easy to say with hindsight but can I suggest:
1: never put anything that may break your spine in the rear pockets of your cycling jersey!!!!

However painful that might be, and I'm sure it is already and will feel even worse tomorrow, imagine if you were one who carries a pump or something back there. **shudder**
I put my multi tool and keys in the wedge bag; I don't want to come off with them in my pockets; my pump does go in the jersey pocket but its small & light (I have to use an elastic to attach it to a spare tube or it goes flying out when I get Aero); anything bigger **shudder**

Top Bottom