Leeds Railway Station.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
What a surprise i got today .Had to go into town today for a repair to my younguns ipad touch .Chap said one hour .So i thought i would go and ask a few questions about bikes on trains .Well what used to be a dump of a place on one side of the station is now a row of coffee shops and newsagents .Boy how tidy it looks .Bought a very LARGE latte and sat and watched the world walk past .
My dad would be surprised if he was still with us .He used to take me to the cinema at the bottom of this area .It was quite clean then .But somehow it all went tits up for a long time .Whoever tarted it up ,a big well done from me .

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
You mean Leeds Station... under The Queen's Hotel... round that really tight u turn corner... as you enter City Square?

Nevers!
ohmy.gif

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I used to commute into Leeds by train when they were doing the whole place up. The whole programme started in late 1999.

Very busy and clean station now.

Good bike facilities too near the main entrance.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I once slept in one of the little waiting hut type things they used to have on the patform in the mid 80's, I had just been to see Gary Moore in bradford with a mate and missed the last train back it was early winter and bloody freezing :cold: and we where dressed in tee shirt, jeans & thin jacket.

Got woken up at stupid oclock in the morning my a cleaner washing the floor with what smelt like neat bleach :eek: then she shut the door ............... cue streaming eyes.

Paladin - York

Changed trains there in March enroute to Morecambe from York, re the "Way of the Roses". The lift wasn't working so had to negotiate a loaded bike up the escalator & down the steps on the other side. All that glitters........

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I used to commute into Leeds by train when they were doing the whole place up. The whole programme started in late 1999.

Very busy and clean station now.

Good bike facilities too near the main entrance.

My next door neighbour's son had major responsibilities for the civil engineering side of the the upgrade. Part of the station was relocated to a temporary station called Whitehall Road. I was presented with one of the Whithall Road Station signs when it was dismantled at the end of the refurbishment.

It might even be the one in the picture below.

2405843918_288f02d741_m.jpg

Back to the parade of shops and bars. They've been there quite a while. In the dim and distant past it was a dingy place and all I can recall being there was a 'Beauty Without Cruelty' shop.

The bike facilities at the main entrance is a very recent innovation and it's a satellite store of Evans as well as a secure bike repository.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
It probably looks a whole load better than it did before the major refurb, but I bet last time you were there you could get more bikes on trains :sad:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Can't say I like the 'new' station. It is a deeply unfriendly place, with it's barriers (that it always had) and all and makes me think of an airport (never visited one).

Bayerd

Über Member
It's never been the same since the City Arms went.......

Steve H

Large Member
I went there last week for the first time in many years. Had my bike with me. I was really impressed with the station as well. Looks a lot more modern with much better facilities than I remember. Got the bike on the train fine and it looked safe and secure. I'm sure you have to pick your times well to avoid the busier periods, but overall a good experience.

The larger Evans is to the right whe you come out of the entrance - follow the access road against the traffic until you reach the NCP carpark and it's there. Having a bike shop in the city centre is great. The last time I remember one was in the early 90's. Can't remember the name of it but it was like a LBS on lower Briggate. Got all my stuff from there. THink it's a pub now :angry:

Fiona N

Veteran
The bike shop .Could it have been something like TWO WHEELS GOOD .That seems to spring to mind .

That sounds pretty familiar from when I was at Leeds Uni in the early '80s.

Funny I used to live in Woking when Evans just had two shops - one in The Cut near Waterloo and in Woking. Now there seems to be as many as Starbucks - perhaps even more - Kendal has an Evans but no Starbucks :smile:

P.S> Forgot to add - I was most impressed with both the Leeds station overhaul and the area round about the station. I still prefer shopping in Leeds than Manchester - one day I'm going to have to move back to the right side of the Pennines :biggrin:

That sounds pretty familiar from when I was at Leeds Uni in the early '80s.

Funny I used to live in Woking when Evans just had two shops - one in The Cut near Waterloo and in Woking. Now there seems to be as many as Starbucks - perhaps even more - Kendal has an Evans but no Starbucks :smile:

P.S> Forgot to add - I was most impressed with both the Leeds station overhaul and the area round about the station. I still prefer shopping in Leeds than Manchester - one day I'm going to have to move back to the right side of the Pennines :biggrin:
You're already on it :biggrin:

I thought two wheels good was the name of the more commercial place which sprung up on the corner of lower Briggate / Boar Lane (now occupied by Nandos). The one I'm thinking of used to occupy the space now taken up by "The Hogs Head" pub. Was a really old looking place - typical LBS with bikes in various states of repair all over. The guy really knew his stuf though.

Top Bottom